Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator filling with water

none
none Member Posts: 16
I have one radiator in second floor apt. that fills with water. I take can vent off water spills out. I syphon water out,run well two days, fills up again. 3 quarts of water each time. Radiator is pitched,No valve on radiator, Ran 20 gallons of water through can vent opening.Caught water in barrel in basement. Skimmed boiler. If I use varivent the water blows out all over the floor. I will catch about 6quarts in 16 hrs. Going crazy!

Ready to go to hot water!!

HELP!!!!!

Comments

• archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,094
    been there

sound like you've checked the obvious. Is this radiator on it's own riser or are there other 2nd (or different) floor radiators teed off the same riser? Could there be a corrosion obstruction in the piping simulating a closed valve?

I've had a few like this where i just can't figure it out. It seems pitched right and its on the same main as others that don't manifest the problem. Including one on a two pipe system where the feed would always get water in it ,and I gave up and put a tee with a valve and a can to burp everyday.

But sounds like you're getting more volume than would be practical. How about putting a separately piped return on the radiator. That ought to get the water back.

Brian
This discussion has been closed.