Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flow-check noise

Jimbo_5
Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 222
Is there any posssible trick/measure for quieting a noisy flow-check valve.  Up until the other day, it was fairly quiet if heard at all.  Then I changed the circulator pump speed, on my TT-110 in order to increase my Delta-T, and all of a sudden it sounds like a small marble ticking along in the piping.  It can only be heard if I am in the basement near the boiler, but it does not sound normal.  Any suggestions? 

Comments

• bisquits1
    bisquits1 Member Posts: 7
    CV Noise

It may not be the Check Valve, you have increased the velocity of the water in the piping by changing the speed.  Why increase the Delta T??
  • Jimbo_5
    Thanks

The delta-t was about 20*, and I was told that closer to 30* works better with mod/cons.  So I moved the 3-position selector switch from high to medium, which I believe will slow down the flow rate and, perhaps, increase my DT.  It did in fact increase to about 25* but the ticking came along with it.
  • bisquits1
    bisquits1 Member Posts: 7
    Noisy CV

Sorry, thought you might have increased the flow which could lead to velocity noise.  stumped on this one. 
  • Jimbo_5
    How about

I hate to ask, but could it be having trouble keeping the flow-check open?  The heat flow is fine.  I was hoping to keep it condensing longer by increasing the DT. 
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Noise

You decreased the flow and the velocity and now the check valve is too large. There is not enough pressure drop across the valve to hold it open.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jimbo_5
    Thanks, but will it still work

I take that to mean there is now not enough velocity/pressure to hold the flow-check open, yes?  Or is it "fighting" to stay open.  For a 1" (flow check) valve the opening inside the valve body certainly did not appear to be very large, surely not 1" in diameter.  And lifting the "valve"  core/plug was not exactly easy either.   
  • will it still work

Sure it will Jimbo!

All you did was slow  the flow abit, so now the water is more turbulent at the "offset point" within the valve,,,, this is what creates the chatter.

Annoying?, yes, but the valve will still function OK. This is another reason I opt for the push-ins.  ;-)
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    Noise

You can remove the weight off the flowcheck and slide a valve washer up on the stem , then reInstall the weight .. That will take away the chatter...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jimbo_5
    Thank you

The noise is minimal and can only be heard when standing close to the boiler.  So long as it works with no problem, I do not mind.  Oddly, though, this morning it was leaking out the top of the stem.  I had to run it down tight, I guess it was not fully closed.  Yet it still "chatters" a bit when the boiler is in a high fire modulation, but not when modulating low.  Weird, eh?
This discussion has been closed.