Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler issues

michael_4
michael_4 Member Posts: 31
Hello all,

1) On a service call today to determine what was causing the boiler relief valve the weep intermittently, I tapped the pressure gauge with my index finger lightly and the pressure dropped from 17 psig to 11 psig. What would cause this? I am currently leaning towards a broken gauge.

2) Can boiler limits lose calibration? The limit in question is set for 190 deg. F and shutting the burners off at 155 deg. F. I did not confirm supply temp. with clamp-on temp. probe yet.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    issues

1...replace gauge. they stick, go bad, and are cheap. always replace a sticking gauge.  2...aquastat never really runs the water exactly as the pointer shows. Adjust water temp to what a good gauge says, not the needle or pointer on the aquastat...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    edited January 2010
    9 times out of 10....

The expansion tank is the culprit of intermittent leaking relief valves.

Water logged.

Check it?

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• michael_4
    michael_4 Member Posts: 31
    boiler issues more questions

Okay, this will be a dumb question. I have researched online on how to service a compression tank with a B&G Aitrol fitting, but no such luck.

Will closing the ball valve on the line to the ATF and opening the drain cock on the comp. tank work?

Thanks for the advice.

-Michael
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Yes and no...

You have to either shut off the make up, or in your case, close the isolation valve to the expansion tank. In the very bottom of the Airtrol fitting, you will see a small straight edged screw. This is a vent that goes to the top of the expansion tank.

After isolation, connect hose to exp. tank drain cock. Relieve pressure. Once the hose starts Glugging, open screw to relieve vacuum. Let run until COMPLETELY drained, then reset everything and you should be good to go.

BTW, with this type of tank, you can NOT have ANY automatic air elimination devices ANYWHERE in the system.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.