Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question on Manifolds

Options
Kungur
Kungur Member Posts: 49
As I start my education of radiant heating I am now looking at the manifolds. Am I correct in thinking that the manifold is just a distribution point with valves to isolate and balance each loop? If so could a guy fabricate his own?

Comments

• mor
    mor Member Posts: 42
    Options
    have fun!

of course you can. just get all the details and size the headers right.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Manifolds

And maybe buy yourself a T-Drill, I dont own one, but I would love too, Rems makes a portable one, and T-Drill makes a real nice one
  • digger_2
    digger_2 Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Homemade manifolds

I manufactured these in 1998. The valves are on the return which is common to three zones. If you look closely you can see the two end caps soldered back to back in the supply header on the lower left. I didn't know if i would be able to balance with regular ball valves so I just made every loop (14 total) 200 feet long +/- 4 feet. I didn't have access to resources like this site back then so it was mostly guesswork. Been warm for all these years though.
  • Conedoctor
    Conedoctor Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Cut and cap

I will be making my manifolds tomorrow night, I only have 2 zones so it should be easy.

I plan on buying a ready made one and cutting it in half capping the end adding the valves and calling it a day.

My business is hydraulics and working with 10,000PSI all day is no big deal, as soon as I start plumbing at home I get all worried and I don't know why. Just use care and common sense and life should be good.
This discussion has been closed.