Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator reconfigure

Options
I am in the process of renovating an old house with hot water, cast iron rads as a heating system.

We have pulled off all the plaster to update the wiring, plumbing and add insulation.  My fear is that now my oversized system is going to be too hot an inconsistent.   I plan on having the boiler updated in the near future, but while the pipes are exposed  should the rad layout be altered.  I'd appreciate any advice or direction in the best way to update my system.   The boiler is an 85% efficiency, natural gas unit replaced in 1989. Thanks.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Heat Loss

Have a heat loss done. Measure the radiation. Compare the 2. Run lower water temps and add thermostatics. Fear is now gone.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Another thought

Add an outdoor temperature reset control. It will help offset sizing differences, improve savings, and prevent overheating. And if someone forgets and leaves the t-stat on or too high and if the outdoor temp tells the boiler not to run. It will not.

Too much radiation is a sign of wealth, a low temp design or insulating a building after a system was installed. Either way you can keep lower temps and acheive more from a condensing boiler. I recommend a Slantfin Bobcat. And with the domestic hot water unit, you will achieve +90% effiecency on heating that too.

A direct vent product will achieve about 17% more in savings when outdoor air is used for combustion. It also cuts down on drafts.
This discussion has been closed.