Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Non Adjustable Vents for Apt Building?

Options
Goody
Goody Member Posts: 11
I am in the process of balancing my 1 pipe steam system.  I will be installing 2 Gorton #2's on my main lines this weekend.  I am told this will make a big difference since I don't currently have any main vents. 

I was advised to replace my Radiator vents with Non Adjustable Gorton Vents.  I have a professional telling me exactly what Gorton Vents I need in each radiator on my 3 floors based on a sketch I will be providing him of where all my radiators are and length of my main lines.  He say's it doesn't make sense to balance your sytem and then leave your tenants with the ability to adjust the radiator venting as it will unbalance the system.

Anyone disagree or have any suggestions?

Comments

• mel rowe
    mel rowe Member Posts: 324
    Options
    Vents

I would say to consider the other side also. Even if you can balance out the rads pretty closely,not everyone likes the same temperature for every room.  If it gets too hot, they will just open the window.  If if is too cold, they will be calling someone to fix it.  Why not give them some flexibility to adjust the temperature without either of the above reactions?  Of course you would also need to provide some instructions as to how to do that.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    improving apartment bldg heating

if your radiator vents are now working, leave them alone for the moment, and get the mains vented.

how big is this building? if it is very tall, you may also need vents on the risers, or at least more capacious radiator vents, on the top floor rads.

so for the beginning, fill those mains with steam, by letting the air out.--nbc
  • Goody
    Goody Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you

Thanks.  The vents don't work very well now but maybe it's because the mains are not vented.  It is a 3 unit apartment building.  The 3rd floor people have been pulling the vents completely out in order for the radiator to get hot.  First floor works fine.  If I wanted to put bigger vents on the third floor...What would you recommend for size or should I put 2 in the big radiator.  I was going to use Gorton but they don't make adjustable.  Hoffman?
This discussion has been closed.