Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another buffer tank question,,,

Does a buffer tank need to be insulated?

And, can a large enough "open-type"(not bladder) steel expansion tank be used or this?

Seems to me it will do the same thing.

Actually, in the old days, didn`t they call a similar type tank "range boilers"?

Besides a cosmetic covering, please enlighten me to the diff between the two.

Comments

• KBP&H_3
    KBP&H_3 Member Posts: 67
    Tank sizing and Flow requirements:

There are a couple of things you are looking for in the buffer tank setup;

1-tapping sizes so that you can fully utilize the output of the boiler, ie- 80,00 BTU = 1" tapping's for boiler side, 120,000= 1 1/4" etc. so you achieve maximum boiler flow w/ out much of a pressure drop.

2-same thing for the demand side, your total flow is allowed by the tank tapping's

3-run time,- to have the tank capacity match your desired boiler run time, 3 -5-10 minutes??

4-Insulation- unless standby loss of okay?

5-Ability to create a temperature differential in the tank by the tank height and tapping"s placement.

Looking at the above items- an steel expansion tank will fall short in all of the requirements. If you could use a 42 gallon galvenized well tank and create tapping''s  and insulation,, maybe a start.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,827
    an uninsulated buffer is

really a radiator in the round. Unless you need the heat where the tank is located better insulate it.

Four large taps high and low across from one another give you nice flow and a hydro separator device, all in one. Throw an air vent on top also. Many tanks have a domed tank, a great place to collect and vent air.

I can't imagine installing less than 40 gallons of buffer if you are going through the time and trouble to buffer. Less capacity than that it starts to look more like an expansion tank :)

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Respectfully disagree,,,,

IF the boiler has an output of say,,, 47K,,,, and the inlet tappings to the load are 3/4", why could this not be used?

I thought the whole idea of a buffer was "parking space" when the load is under the modulation rate.

Cooler return temps are what modcons want right?,,,, how can this be achieved by an insulated(keeping heat-in) buffer tank?
  • Right Bob,,,

That`s what I was thinking!
  • KBP&H_3
    KBP&H_3 Member Posts: 67
    ?

I must be missing something??
This discussion has been closed.