Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skimming the boiler

RyanC
RyanC Member Posts: 38
I've seen a lot of talk about skimming a boiler and figured I should probably do it to mine at some point since I don't know if it had ever been done.  The issue is that I don't see a skim port anywhere.  The boiler is a Burnham V-33.  Does anyone know if this creature has a skim port and where I might find it?

Comments

• Skim Port

Look in your Installation & operational boiler manual. It should show a drawing of the boiler ports and designate the port for skimming. If you don't have the manual, you should be able to get one on line at Burnham's website - Rod
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Skim ports

Are you having symptoms of oil in the boiler? Priming/surging/wet steam etc.? If not there's little reason to skim.

Some boilers don't have a skim port. If the risers exist the sides there may be a tee with a cap or plug you can remove.
  • John W
    John W Member Posts: 11
    Skim port

I have a Burnham IN9 boiler with the relief valve installed on a tee connection.  The tee has a cap that I take off and use as the skimming port.  If you are generating steam with steel piping, then skimming is an annual event.  I always notice a significant improvement in the system after a good skimming.  Pick up "The Lost of Steam Heating" and give it a try.
This discussion has been closed.