Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Opinions on hot water recirculators?

A bit off topic, but I bet you all have some solid opinions, here.

We're going to be adding a bathroom to our third floor and I'm interested in including a hot water recirculator. Any thoughts on favorite makes or models? The Grundfos looks good. Any thoughts on whether it's better to have the pump under the sink or at the hwh? I can't tell what the real difference would be- including an outlet under the sink for a pump is not big deal as this is "new" construction.

Any opinions on whether they're worth the trouble, period? They're often touted as a water saver, but never mention that savings comes at the expense of fuel (though I suppose that varies depending on usage, timers, etc.).

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Patrick

Comments

• Patrick_North
    Patrick_North Member Posts: 249
    PS:

... and as this is "new" construction, a return line for the pump is not out of the question. It seems that most makes offer "after market" options as well as versions that require the return line. Any appreciable difference in the two approaches?

Thanks,

Patrick
  • george_42
    george_42 Member Posts: 123
    put one in my house recently

I found one at costco for $180 (watts) the supply house wanted over $200. The one I put in has the pump at the heater and uses a direct return line(the best way) or a valve between the hot and cold at the farthest faucet which is what I did and it works great. No waiting for hot water anymore . George                                     
This discussion has been closed.