Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping Issues-- LWCO

Options
I am currently replacing a Weil McLain EGH-85 steam boiler to replace exactly the same 10 year old unit that was dry fired and cracked 4 sections due to previous piping issues.

I have a fair amount of knowledge in steam systems and refer to "Lost Art" like it was my bible. However I have a curious question regarding the following.

This is a two pipe system that has a Hoffman WCS-8 simplex condensate pump. The old system merely had a MM 101 Feeder and a probe type LWCO. The condensate unit was using the internal float to refill the boiler and the LWCO was wired into the water feeder.

On the new system I would like to use a Hoffman #47-2 float type LWCO with feeder and although the boiler piping recommendations and diagrams in "Lost Art" dictate that it should probably be a 247-2 unit I am restricted by clearances to pipe it in on the right hand side of the boiler as WM would like.

Will I get into trouble pipine the 47-2 into the left side gauge glass tappings as is normal with that unit. I am still going to pipe the condensate pump to the return side of the equalizer and am installing the probe type LWCO in the lower tapping as a secondary safety device.

One question, do I take a chance flooding my boiler if this is piped this way ?

I'm looking for some help... Thanks

This discussion has been closed.