Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

an easy question?

Jim_108
Jim_108 Member Posts: 49
I posted a question and was suprised I was not getting any response. I think the way I wrote it was unclear. So I will try again.

Over the years I see a lot of McDonald Miller #51 feeders piped in copper to the boiler (make up water)and I see a lot piped in brass. Which is correct? Or does it matter?

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    If in doubt...

Follow the manufacturers instructions.

If they don't address it and you are still concerned, use a yellow brass nipple/fitting. Bras is neutral to both copper, coast iron etc and is a code approved means of dissimilar metal connections.

Lastly, relax, most of America is still asleep :-)

Happy Gnu Ear

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,142
    brass or copper

Jim as i see it every combination LWCO feeder is usually always piped in brass it is unknown to myself the why but it is the way i have always pipe the portable water to the feed side in threaded brass as for the steam side it should always be piped in steel and tied into the boiler as each boiler manafature recommends .I would believe that the main reason for brass besides the fact that there is a lesser chance of a die electric reaction between brass and iron as to copper to iron and the fact that the threaded joint will handle vibration and possible heat that the piping may be exposed to .There is probalbly some thing in the mech codes which makes this required .In most cases when you run into a 51 it's not a small boiler and should get the respect it deserves and be piped in brass with unions for trouble shooting and ease of future service.The only reason i could possible see some one piping it in copper is that they are trying to save a couple of bucks or they just have not been exposed to using larger LWCO which is quite common because they do cost a couple of bucks and plus no one reads the instrution whih give you the rating as to what size LWCO should be used with waht size boiler in other words don't install a 67 lwco on a 750000 btu steamer that lwco is not rated for the edr of that size boiler but don't except any or most inspectors  to even notice it or care maybe until the insurance co omes to inspect after the lwco fails and damages the boiler soory for the rant i hate seeing the wrong lwco being on boiler cause it's a **** convincing owners that it ain't right until the worse happens redundance always pays unless you want to sell and new boiler peace and good luck clammy hey ME happy new year buddy hope all is well and when you coming to jersey again?

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• Jim_108
    Jim_108 Member Posts: 49
    I would have to conclude

that if its piped in copper its up to code and if its piped in brass its piped with pride.

thanks for your help. Jim
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Hey Clammy...

Happy New Year to you and yours. Not sure about NJ yet, but will post it here when I am headed that way.

Take care my friend.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,260
    Code

In my neck of the woods, it is a code issue.  In VA and MD, the #51 can be piped in black steel or copper.  In DC, it must be schedule 40 threaded brass.  -DF
This discussion has been closed.