Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

trouble connecting radiator to 1 inch steam radiator valve

Pete_18
Pete_18 Member Posts: 197
I am attempting to connect a steam radiator to a 1inch radiator valve. The male side with the nut seems to screw on fine to the valve, but regardless of the angle/height/etc, it wants to start leaking out steam and eventually water and soon as a small amount of pressure builds.  Is there some trick to get the two pieces to connect exactly properly? (Something is obviously wrong with either my height or angle, but I have no idea which, nor how to troubleshoot/correct).

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    valve problem

i think that the new valve is not able to tightly fit on the old  "spud" which is screwed into the radiator. did you change the "spud" for the new one which should have come with the new valve? the valve and "spud" are unfortunately a matched pair, and so the old one must be removed from the radiator, and replaced with the new one. this can be a difficult task, which is why it is better to repair the old valve, than replace.--nbc
  • Pete_18
    Pete_18 Member Posts: 197
    Yes

Both the valve and the spud are brand new. I have also tried swapping out the spud (for the same brand), but it may no difference. One annoying thing is that if you take the spud and put it together with the valve, they don't appear to fit directly in one another, rather the spud compresses and rests on the valve, but this seemed normal when I compared it to other valves for sale.
This discussion has been closed.