Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A/H with modcon questions

Options
This customer(my brother), wants <em>constant low-speed air movement</em>  throughout his house ductwork. So last fall I installed an Ecologix A/H with ECM blower motor, included in the factory coil is a 3 speed 15-58. The boiler is a TT Solo 60, with a Smart 40 indirect. Piping for the Solo & A/H is <em>straight-through </em>, no buffer-tank.

Anyway,, when the stat calls, the blower kicks to a higher speed(to satisfy it),,, then reduces back to low after and stops the boiler,,,, fine right.

But then after a time, <em>before the stat calls again</em>,  the low-speed air movement <em>feels</em> cool

and he`s uncomfortable.

So, we tried a constant heat-demand(Par 45=01) for the boiler & wired the A/H circ to run continuously from the boiler. When the stat calls this is fine,,, but once satisfied the blower returns to its low-speed OK,,,, but after a time the house temp over-drifts,,, the stat <em>never calls</em>  he`s too hot,,, & the boiler short cycles, ( the MCBA has an unmovable 6° pre-set variance.)

I`m thinking,,, adding a buffer tank & VS circ,  combined with adjusting Par 40(CH call blocking time) should cure this.

What say y`all?

Comments

• No opinions yet?

As to this query?

I would think a small modcon should be able to take-on any A/H @ design without over-shooting.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    opinion

I don't think your problem is with the water side. If the duct work and more importantly

the number of, type and location of the registers have not been engineered to provide

a draft free environment you have a problem. ASHRAE's handbook has a whole chapter

on physiological principles. Bottom line if you have air moving at 15 to 20 FPM at less than 85ºF it will feel like a draft. From my experience most residential air handling systems are designed by rule of thumb. The boiler can't change the air side.
    bob
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    hvac

No way to stop overheating without stopping the water flow. Why doe he want the air always moving???? Almost impossanbe to not have drafts with that.
This discussion has been closed.