Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what is the best way to geothermal a cottage floor

eskimo
eskimo Member Posts: 1
Our climate in Northern Canada can go to -40 c on some nights. I have a cottage, that I am going to live in year round. It is around 1450 sq ft. I am going to install Geothermal heat, with hydronic heat, as this cottage is on a lake. I have a few questions. My plan is to install the rigid styrofoam on the inside floor, that is pre designed to take pex pipe, and also has the built in reflective tape. Then install maybe cement board, and granite tile over that. Then outside, underneath the cottage, I was going to run some of the water lines(drinking water etc ) under floor, and then have it sprayed with closed cell foam spray, to around r-20. Would the heat from the inside floor, be warm enough to stop the water pipes from freezing. The hydro is very expensive here, and need to go Geothermal, which I already have in my other house, and has been a huge money saver. Will this work, or any other sugestions /

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 265
    Best way

Ahh to build to create, it is what we were meant for.

So many choices, what to do? Build the ultimate or spare no expense or build to my budget, what ever it be.

Principles seem the answer here. Insulation is a slowing of heat transfer. As long as heat applied exceeds heat lost your pipes will not freeze. Access to make repairs is a good thing. All things fail and like you said it gets cold. Anytime you can bring plumbing into an area that can protect it, yet not make too much of a mess when it fails should be considered. Your original plan to spray depends on which transfer of heat wins. Heat loss from the pipes,(freeze) or to the pipes, (thawed). And since heat rises, conductivity is important. Proper building of your thermal sandwich is important.

Your floor temp design may not be warm enough to put enough heat below to keep pipe freeze away.

Heat from geography? Solar heating by radiation?

Thermal storage banks? Backup systems. And it should be a fool proof easy to do system. like Light that fire.

Keep what you want warm near the flame, all else put barriers between hot and cold. Do not insulate from heat what needs heat to maintain. All failing radiant floor systems had one weakness, tubing material degradation. If it is to be buried make it good. Pex Aluminum pex composition seems to me to be the best today. Proper installation is a must.

Make a good plan and follow it. Find a good mentor in your area. Learn all you can.
This discussion has been closed.