Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco zone valves and honeywell thermostat not compatable?

Options
Jfonto
Jfonto Member Posts: 43
I just got a new Burnham Alpine boiler, with a Taco four zone controller and Taco zone valves. The installer left the old thermostats(honeywell, round, old, mercury) and now I think they are not appropriate for this system; the amperage(.05) is way to low for the lowest anticipator setting and the rooms are getting way too warm.

I like the Honeywell round digital. I don't need a programmable. But the manual says it can't be used with taco zone valves.

Is this always true? Can I get around this? Why?

P.S. This site and the  forum members are, by far, the best source of heating knowledge on the web. I've really feal like i've found a treasure. 

Comments

• Jfonto
    Options
    This post in controls also

This post in controls also.

Thanks
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Taco 570 series

I posted a technical document released many years ago explaining how this valve works.  there is no compatibility issue with Honeywell thermostats. if you have an anticipator on the thermostat, it should be set to .9 which is the amp load on the 570 series valve.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Taco/Honeywell compatibility

It's been my understanding that the heat anticipator is set to the current draw of whatever control it's wired to, in this case the zone control which has a rating of 0.18a. If you increase the heat anticipator setting to 0.9 you'll over heat quite a bit more than you are presently experiencing. You would set it at 0.9 only if the t'stat were wired directly to the zone valve.
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Options
    .18 ?

Where did that come from? And besides, what do these guys from taco know anyway?

All those boxes are is a either a 40 or 80 VA trans with some terminals.

Watch out for them Rum balls!
  • Jfonto
    Options
    Taco Honeywell

The Zone valve circuit is separated from the thermostat by a relay, so the valve doesn't draw through thermostat; I've come to realize. But is that the problem, the current draw through the thermostat from the valves.
This discussion has been closed.