Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Homeowner - Blowing off steam

Hello. I'm just a regular old homeowner, with no steam experience other than reading 2 of Dan's great books. How is that I've known more about steam heat than the last four techs I've had in (nice guys, just limited steam knowledge)? Their website states that they are steam experts.... Of course they know a bit about steam heat, but inevitably the end of their visits goes like this, "I'm not really the steam heat expert, Bob back at headquarters is though". Seems to me if they just read 2 of Dan's books they'd be better off than they are right now. I end up teaching them a few things each visit...

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Ask Questions

Next call for help, ask questions when the tech shows up. Ask what type of system you have, and never let anyone just say you need a 'fitting' or 'valve'. Make them be specific and explain what the part is and does, and watch them start to sweat! I had a customer yesterday say they were told the rad in the upstairs would not heat because there must be a 'fitting' under their fir floors and that the floors would need to be taken up to make it work. Needed a good purge. Ask questions, HOs!

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Peter Means
    Peter Means Member Posts: 27
    Ha!

Love it. By the way, I know you guys know what you are doing, that's why I'm sharing the humor in this with you. I'd note the funny things they have told me, but I do have some compassion for them... Just please know where the Hartford loop is and what it does. :)
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Knowledge Base

Most techs don't read or take the training seminars offered by the manufacturers.  (Although those that visit this site seem to) There's also an extreme shortage of qualified techs due to the declining appeal of the industry and lack of incentives for recruitment or advanced training.

My father had a great line..."there's no such thing as too much knowledge" 

He was right.
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Dan's article archives

Look under resources and find Dan's article on Hartford Loops. It is on the return and protects the boiler from a fast drain of a hot boiler should a wet return rupture.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Peter has done his homework

I find many inquisitive homeowners and my favorite thing to do is to send them a copy of "We Got Steam Heat".  The last time was a week ago when I picked up a new customer;  a young Chinese woman that had just inherited her uncle's 15-unit apartment building.  She had so many questions and was overjoyed when I sent her the book.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    My favorite line ...

... in this respect goes like this:

"If you think education is too expensive, you should try ignorance."

The interesting thing for me was that it was on the billboard of a storage locker place, not where I would expect philosophy.
  • DavidK_2
    DavidK_2 Member Posts: 131
    next tme

if Bob is the expert, ask them to send Bob,

giving a customer a book is a great idea.
  • Peter Means
    Peter Means Member Posts: 27
    Home owners can also give books

I gave my 2 Dan books to one of the techs. He was very appreciative. Bob is coming out.... 
  • DavidK_2
    DavidK_2 Member Posts: 131
    well done

good move :)
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    Speaking of blowing off steam

I was at a steam service call at a small apartment/storefront building. When I emerged from the outdoor basement stairs, I encountered a giant cloud of steam billowing from the basement stairwell at the building next door.

Naturally, I trotted over there to see what was up but I encountered within this cloud an inebriated maintenance man who was "relieving the steam pressure since it was too high." From his description, all the radiator vents are bad. When they all start blasting steam, he dutifully heads down there to "let out the steam."

I heard that this is a common occurrence there. I told him that we could fix that and left my card. I've never heard from them.

-Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

This discussion has been closed.