Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant heat through three layers of flooring

Options
I have a house in Maine that I've been remodeling and the next big step

will be to upgrade my old clunker oil fired steam system to a Baxi.

First floor is accessible to do staple up radiant but there's three

layers of flooring. Old 7/8" boards and two layers of white oak. It had

been floored over some time ago and the top layer of white oak is in

good condition so I don't want to remove it to install an inlaid

radiant system as I've done on other projects.

Question is: Is the thickness too much to give me a properly performing radiant loop?

Comments

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    maybe

depends on your heat loss. Chances are not good for radiant with that configuration though.

I'd steer clear of the Baxi too.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Dutchman
    Dutchman Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Baxi?

Yeah, I had the feeling that the build-up is too thick.

Re: Baxi really? We've (my heating contractor here in Maine) installed

dozens of them with no trouble or maintenance for years....and have one

of my own in another building. My heating contractor says that the bad

press they get is because people are not setting them up properly to

begin with. I'm no heating tech, but his work has been bullet proof.

Would love to know other good options though, I'm not wedded to them.

Thanks
  • NRT_Rob
    Options
    installer preference is important

but that particular unit has had a lot of problems and is more finicky than many.

I'm rapidly approaching recommending the Triangle Tube solo nearly exclusively. as it so happens, the major baxi supplier in maine switched to that boiler to get away from all the problems the Baxi was having.

but if your installer has a good track record with it, I'd feel more comfortable trusting it, if he's been doing it for awhile. Is he servicing them too?
    Rob Brown
  • Dutchman
    Dutchman Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Servicing Baxi

Yes Rob, he services them too. But honestly, not much work there. He claims to have had only one problem with one, but it was because the exhaust got filled with water due to some during-construction mishap....says it has never worked properly.

I'll ask what he thinks about the Triangle Tube, I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks for the input.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Floor R-Value

Floor R-value is going to be in the 2.5 area. Typical sub and hardwood is 1.68.  I would make sure someone does a radiant heat loss and design before you  decided to do this. You may find depending on sqft of floor that you may not be able to heat the room. Some type of joist trak plates is a must and you may even consider some radiant wall to keep your water temps down. Your going to have a high water temp at design conditions. You may not be able to take advantage of the full range of the mod/con without some supplemental heat.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Youngdogs2
    Youngdogs2 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Baxi

The information on Baxi in this thread is purely a personal opinion. To clear up the facts - Baxi made a change in distribution to another major distributor in Maine. The other major distributor did not drop the line.

Visit wallhungboilers.com for more information and ask the distributor - Portland Winnelson for references on Baxi.

I have one in my home and love it and I never hear it run - very quiet. I also am saving costs on fuel.
  • NRT_Rob
    Options
    it is a personal opinion

but the facts I state were facts. and people we know who dealt with far more of them than we did gave up dealing with them because of the headaches.

so I can say personally I would never use one again and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. that doesn't mean that no one has a good install.
    Rob Brown
  • Youngdogs2
    Options
    Truth

I think we are splitting hairs...

If you're saying that contractors will have problems if they don't install, set-up and service the units correctly, then I will agree with you. This is not unique to Baxi as it pertains to any other product.

If you're stating that the former distributor in Maine lost the line, then I would agree with you. Any other claim would be incorrect.

If you're saying anything other than was is stated above, then I do not agree with you and luckly many others do not follow your personal opinion.

Good Luck with your boiler choice as I'm sure it's a fine product.
  • NRT_Rob
    Options
    mostly agreed

But I don't take your spin on the distributorship being "lost" and of course everything needs to be installed correctly, it's just a lot easier to do that with some other boilers than the baxi.
    Rob Brown
  • Youngdogs2
    Options
    Distribution

If you don't believe me, ask the new distributor on why there was a change. I bet you'll change your mind after speaking with them. Also call the manufacturer who made the change and they will verify what I am saying...

Do it if you really want to know the truth

Agree to disagree...
  • NRT_Rob
    Options
    that's pretty funny

but you're looking pretty silly saying this to me. I was around before the change and after and I'm pretty clear on the whys and hows of what went on.
    Rob Brown
  • Youngdogs2
    Options
    Once again...

Since you were not in the room during these discussions or at least I did not see you, then you are shooting off at the mouth.

Sales in Maine are up since the old distributor went away....funny?

You should continue offering your opinions as I can see you do on a regular basis.

I'm not sure who looks silly now, but it's not me.

Truth will set you free!
  • NRT_Rob
    Options
    congrats!

I didn't have to be in the room. I heard the anguished whines coming from southern maine for a long time before the change occurred. Some of them were coming from clients of ours. Some from people in the supply chain. Whatever was happening on the sales end was of no concern to me, of course, since I don't typically sell boilers, I just have to deal with them. If you want to pretend the old supplier was in love with your equipment though, well, I can't say I think that pig looks any better with a little lipstick on it. I *was* in the room for many conversations with them about units in the field that were having problems. I know exactly how much fun we were all having. If they were loving that, they were masochists.

Maybe you guys were unhappy with the relationship too, that's great. I'm glad everything has worked out well for you. Your unit may even be better and more trouble free than it used to be.... i imagine it must be, it's been awhile now and I'm sure you're all learning, and installer track record ALWAYS trumps everything else; a guy with a dozen humming baxis out there can and should continue to install with confidence.

but if you're not talking to that installer, I'd look for something else. and I don't make a dime on anyone's boiler decisions.
    Rob Brown
  • Youngdogs2
    Options
    Final Analysis

Well we can agree to disagree, but I do not dispute that there have not been some issues. The issues we have seen have mostly been installer error or more importantly, lack of service.

You should give the distributor a call to have them set up an appointment to discuss what Baxi has to offer and let them address any/all issues you may have heard or dealt with in the past. I think you would like the new Luna 3 Comfort and the HT fully condensing and only full packaged wall hung in the marketplace.

We are all in this together and I beleive most of the products in the market are fine. It just has to be installed and serviced correctly.

Good luck and thanks for the opportunity to dicuss Baxi with you.
  • NRT_Rob
    Options
    sounds good

I hope things have improved and best of luck to you guys. it's hard to overcome past experience but it can be done.
    Rob Brown
This discussion has been closed.