Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bock WH heating swimming pool?

Brian_57
Brian_57 Member Posts: 6
I have a customer that has a indoor swimming pool that is heated by a Bock oil fired water heater model 72E.  No gas is available to his house.  The Bock is now leaking and needs to be replaced.  Have any of you come across a set up like this?  I was considering replacing the Bock with a Weil Mclain Gold plus 80 indirect fired heater.  I can run the Gold plus off his existing hot water boiler with a zone controller with hot water priority control. Any thoughts on this?  I understand that using the Bock or the Weil Mclain for pool heating and not domestic hot water would void the manufactures warranty but the guy got a good 15 years out of the Bock.  I figure the Weil Mclain would be more efficient considering its lower standing heat loss, fast recovery, and one less oil burner to service annualy.

Thanks

Brian the Plumber

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    edited December 2009
    Pool Heat Exchangers

If you're heating a swimming pool with a boiler, a pool/spa heat exchanger is used. you can either use a tube and shell type (Maxi-Flo) or a Flat Plate, which uses cupro nickel and can stand up to chlorine or pool chemicals. I've always used a tekmar 150 setpoint to maintain pool temps. Sizing is very important, see mfg. sheets or talk to the rep before taking the plunge.
This discussion has been closed.