Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The coolest tool I've ever purchased see's....

Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
HEAT!! In COLOR no less.

Purchased a FLUKE Ti10 today. This tool is the bee's heated knees :-)

I will be using it tomorrow to demonstrate to a homeowner why it is that their main floor doesn't get above 60, and why the basement is always at 80 degrees F.

Then I will be taking it to the mountains to get night time pictures of the windows in different modes.

Here's a picture of one of my demonstrator windows running at 120 degrees F.

Enjoy!

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    It helps if you attach the pciture...

ME

• JL_2
    JL_2 Member Posts: 17
    How Much?

What it cost you? I have been thinking about getting one myself.  What do the night time pictures  do for you? 
  • Mark Eatherton
    Bought it at Graingers...

List was $4,495, I asked and received 10% off, so I got it for right at 4K.

The reason for night time photos is to evaluate the outward flow of energy.

ME

• I Want One

Very nice, Mark.  That is a great diagnostic tool.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Mine is cheaper

and called an Irysis but is checks traps just fine which is why I bought it...
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    neat tool

I just saw one for the second time. The state of AK has a cash for caulkers thing of their own. I know two guys doing the audits. They treat that tool with the utmost care. They say the homeowners are fascinated by it.

The second time I saw one was in No. California. Humboldt Co. had this strange thing going on.You see, the bussinesses there were awash in cash like never before .Little towns like Weaverville and Dunsmuir were booming., and it  wasn't the fishing, hunting, or hiking bringing in all that money.

Well my bother and I were on a hunting and fishing trip around 1980  A  ranger showed us this tool that they can point at a house and detect huge heat losses. But the neighbors houses were much less. This thing was all they needed to get a warrant.

We were also warned to not just assume that someone out in the woods, with a gun, was another hunter. There had been many disappearances and shootings in those woods back then.

The Bank of America branch in Weaverville had to get armored car servive for the first time ever. They had so much cash now. The BOA closed 300 branhes in one swoop back then. But this tiny little town, once a gold mining mecca, and now almost a ghost town,was saved.

Now, guess what that imaging tool was detecting?

Couldn't resist, first KFRC then KCRA. I remember Dr. Don.
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    neat tool

I just saw one for the second time. The state of AK has a cash for caulkers thing of their own. I know two guys doing the audits. They treat that tool with the utmost care. They say the homeowners are fascinated by it.

The second time I saw one was in No. California. Humboldt Co. had this strange thing going on.You see, the bussinesses there were awash in cash like never before .Little towns like Weaverville and Dunsmuir were booming., and it  wasn't the fishing, hunting, or hiking bringing in all that money.

Well my bother and I were on a hunting and fishing trip around 1980  A  ranger showed us this tool that they can point at a house and detect huge heat losses. But the neighbors houses were much less. This thing was all they needed to get a warrant.

We were also warned to not just assume that someone out in the woods, with a gun, was another hunter. There had been many disappearances and shootings in those woods back then.

The Bank of America branch in Weaverville had to get armored car servive for the first time ever. They had so much cash now. The BOA closed 300 branhes in one swoop back then. But this tiny little town, once a gold mining mecca, and now almost a ghost town,was saved.

Now, guess what that imaging tool was detecting?

Couldn't resist, first KFRC then KCRA. I remember Dr. Don.
  • Timco
    Dr. Donald D Rose!

what is the only good thing to come out of Pacifica? an empty bus!

Tim
  • Mark Eatherton
    Electric utility companies enlisted by the DEA...

for the same reason.

It seems that with the new "Smart Meter" systems that are coming on line, they can measure and track demand. As the growers increase the length of operation to simulate seasonal increases and decreases in daylight, the utility knows EXACTLY when to drop a dime on the local gendarmes to tell them to make a visit.

Personally, I don't know why the government doesn't just legalize the stuff and put a 50% tax on it and bail out America. It is a victimless crime in my opinion.

ME

• now that you have an ir....

if your irisys were lost or destroyed, would you replace it with the same model, or choose a different one? would it be indiscreet to ask the price?

can it be a separate cost service for your regular clientele?

will it help cooking the turkey, and the baked potatoes? [not a joke actually, as i had to use my raytek thermometer to check our old magic chef 1930's gas oven one xmas!!]  --nbc
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    I wonder...

Totally NOT PC but,

I wonder what a picture of a Hooters Girl would look like ???
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
  • Timco
    next one

I have to say, like with fly rods & shotguns, next time I would buy a nicer unit just because the really nice units do make me jealous but not due to lack of satisfaction. I do not charge extra to use it, but it gets me work because I can prove my diagnosis with it, and customers like that.  Mine is not really sensitive enough to do heatloss surveys in buildings and such, but it shows where the steam is! about $2,500 new. Less quality unit all the way around, but gets me in the game....Rigid just came out with one that has a small screen but very sharp picture. 
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,497
    much heat loss

Hello:  I suspect the Hooters would have high heat loss caused in part by a boiler turned quite high and no outdoor reset. 

My question is this.  I'm looking at an Extech 50 to one digital thermometer with the nifty little red pointer as a way to get spot temperatures.  Being under $300, it is much easier to rationalize than thousands for a camera.  Used well, wouldn't it give you much of the same info you'll get with the IR camera?

Yours,  Larry
  • Mark Eatherton
    edited December 2009
    Not the same Larry...

I too have three of the point radiometers, and they ARE nifty, but in a world where the consumer wants to "see" what is going on, you really can't beat this tool.

I have had jobs where I was trying to find a leak in a floor, and ended up having to put masking tape on the floor to write down the actual surface temperatures on one square inch grids, then interpret that into a digital map. With this tool, it is DONE. I can also do a picture in a picture, or show the image in infrared and then in regular light.

With the software (included) I can change the color graphics to high resolution (more colors per degree F differential) and can also switch between greys, and colors and inverted greys and inverted colors.

This tool will pay for itself in short order if properly used, however, like any tool, it is only as good as the operator. The operator MUST understand it's use, and the effects of emmissivity, reflection, background temperature effects etc.

I am going to enroll in some thermography classes to make sure I am completely comfortable and understanding of what it is that I am seeing, and that I can make an accurate analysis of my findings. Fluke offers these classes.

BTW, you can get that same point radiometer for under $100.00 at WW Graingers.

Also, this infrared camera has a 300:1 ratio.

For example, the wife has always complained that the house felt cool. I'd get up and look at the termostat and tell her everything was ffine, and ask her to put on a sweater. I'm use to it being somewhat cool. Then I got the IR camera, and looking around the house, came across the following situation. This is a picture of the evapporative coler control, located diredctly below the space heating thermostat.

Whooda thunk eh... I don't think I would have found this using a point radiometer tho...

HTH

ME

• human body thermal imaging - medical implications

Not just for trouble-shooting mechanical systems!

[url=http://www.flir.com/thermography/eurasia/en/content/?id=11444]http://www.flir.com/thermography/eurasia/en/content/?id=11444
This discussion has been closed.