Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vaughn Indirect Water Heater Problem Leak

My 80 gallon indirect tank appears to have developed a leak, but in a very odd way. There is a drip line of minerals from the safety valve down, but then I was surprised to see that behind the valvew is a little wet also and when I slightly pryed the cover on the top even that was a bit wet. So I would definitely say that the leak must be coming from the top down, but the pipe ontop is as dry as can be, but I am wondering if there is a fitting underneath this

Is this tank serviceable at all, I contacted the hotline and though the tank is under warranty they wont honor it since I just bought the house.

I never heard of this brand and they describe themslves as the rollys royce, but what I see looks like the ford fiat of water heaters.

This tank is 6 years old.

Any ideas if I can do anything or what else to try, you cant seem to get a parts diagram or anything off their web site.,

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    I would double check the warranty.

Lifetime warranties are not transferable but it appears the basic 7 year ones is not based on who bought the unit. I have seen their electric water heaters last for over 30 years. You may need to contact a plumber to trace back the leak, unless you are one, they may listen to them better or the plumber could find the leak is not the tank but the relief valve threads.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    Vaughn Leak

They told me I had no warranty since none of it could be xfered. Pretty sad and when I asked for a manager I was told there wasn't one. The more I read here I think the leak is pretty common and like many its coming from the top, so I think the coil and gasket must be there. I will cal them tomorrow and maybe pop the top to look and see what is there.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    edited December 2009
    the coil is on the side

Is this an indirect or a storage off the tankless heater? The white ones have the coil  on top. The brown the coil is on the side near the bottom. It is connected to the boiler piping.

Post Edited as spell check knew how to spell but not that I was thinking coil and typing tank.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    Leak

It is an indirect unit
  • gerry_6
    gerry_6 Member Posts: 33
    HEAVY TANK

Vauhn made there water heater tank heavy on purpose . I'd just wipe my hands free of that and buy a stainless tank  and get your own warranty or a Bock has a one time life time tank warranty . who ever has to move this w.h. should get an attaboy .  Gerry Alder 
  • smp74
    smp74 Member Posts: 61
    heavy

I had the same Vaughn indirect. Busted a leak in the jacket somewhere. Turned into a bucket of rust. Never performed that great over it's whole life. Used the backhoe to lift that s.o.b. up the bulkhead stairs.

Replaced with Weil McLain Gold Plus 40. Much better now.
This discussion has been closed.