Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question for Dan about LAOSH formula

mel rowe
mel rowe Member Posts: 324
After struggling for years with the problems related to oversized boiler and poor near boiler piping, I found out about LAOSH and bought a copy and went to work reading and absorbing the great info.  Since that time I have made many improvements to my system that all together have resulted in dry steam and a great running system.  Now that it runs so well and I have time to think about how much it has improved, I was trying to document the current steam velocity that is working so well,  which led me to this question. 

When I look at the formula on page 46, used to calculate steam velocity, it seems to use the boiler's net, or I=B=R ratings.  My question is why use those numbers, which have a  pickup factor of .3 included, rather than using the DOE capacity number, which represents the actual boiler output capacity going into the risers.  I will appreciate very much your solving this nagging question for me.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Thanks, Mel.

I'm in Louisville this week with a new grandson and away from my books. It's been years since I looked inside LAOSH so please drop me a reminder email and I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks. mailroom@heatinghelp.com
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.