Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need some math help?

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,142
I can't seem to find the formula for figuring out temperature /gpm and the output from such,i am looking at hooking up a test oven which will hold a temp of 160 .The oven is set up for steam problem is there's no steam in the building manufacturer stated that the oven could be hooked up to a hot water but the temps required would be 220 degrees at 10 gpm.i am wondering what size boiler BTU wise would be required.the funny part is even if i hooked it up to a separate steam boiler the manufactures lit only states the unit is rated for 200 psi @367 degrees pretty funny there really was no other information on required btu's that are needed to properly operate the oven thanks peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Question is

what would my delta-t be?

8.33x60xdelt-t divided by btu output = gpm

On a 20 degree delta-t to deliver 10gpm I would need 100,000 btu's

On a 30 degree delta-t to deliver 10gpm I would need 150,000 btu's

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• clammy
    question

I had already know 10,000 btu per 1 gal of flow at a 20 degree delta but is this at 180 degree water ?i am wondering if this formula is different for the higher supply water temp of 220 and that i would be getting more then 10,000 btu per 1 gpm ? This basically beause the oven manafuture will on;ly say that if used with  water it would regure 220 degree water at 10 gpm ,i am trying to see what size boiler i would need thanks for your input i might be thinking to hard thanks again peace and good luck clammy

NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ

• Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Delta T formula

The 10000 BTU per GPM formula should not be appreciably affected by temperature, so it should be ok at 220F.

To be perfectly accurate, the you would have to take into account the expansion of the water, which causes it to become less dense with an increase in temperature. As the water becomes hotter, it can carry slightly less BTU per GPM, but it only changes the answer by a very small amount.

My question would be what is the rated Delta T of the oven at 220 F and 10 GPM? Without knowing the Delta T there is no way to know how big a boiler you need. I would not just assume 20 degrees. It also depends on how the oven is used. It will take a lot more BTU/Hr if a lot of material is being moved in and out, rather than just maintaining a constant temperature in a closed oven.

You really need more info from the oven manufacturer.
  • clammy
    vague

Vague is what the oven manafaturer seems to be i had called them and asked for a btu rating and they told me just what i posted 220Degree at 10 GPM on water and there reguirements for steam where even more vague just stating that the unit will operate with 200 psi @367 degrees to me it all seems to vague to say the least .I do however think that the ccompany who brought it will decide to go for the boiler being there electrical service and main transformers are maxed out and i think the boiler install would be quite cheaper then the massive eletrical upgrade(additinal 600 amp service,tranny and panels and all the room reguired which they do not have ) and re shipping the original oven and re ordering a electric oven at a large increase in price plus shipping .t least i have a bit of infromation to go on thanks for the input peae and good luck clammy

NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ

This discussion has been closed.