Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone else havnf trouble with 3-speed Grundfos

ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,883
we seem to have a few of them sticking when on speed one. We switch speed and away they go ..

I've been told I am the only one ??

Scott

Comments

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    It's happened to me.........

.......also, Scott. Not many, but a few. Turn the speed up and it goes, then set it back to low and everything is fine. Pump? Debris? Lack of starting torque?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    old ones

I removed 4 three speeds about 10 years ago. They were put in either in 1960 or 1972, no later than that. The instruction manual was still there. In it, Grundfos was admitting that if on low speed and it hadn't ran for awile it may not turn on. It then said to up the speed to get it going. I could't believe this disclousure. Nowadays that would be seen as self incrimination. A change, I think in the capacitor was their cure. But I guess sometimes- Not!
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    Funny how you are the only one.

I never accept or believe that answer. You may want to open them up and check for rubbing of the impeller or a bit of debris in the housing.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • HDE_2
    HDE_2 Member Posts: 140
    Not newer ones

The old ones stuck all the time.

They have added the "jigulator" in the control box for some time now to solve that.

(little rectangular box, next to capacitor, inline with wire)
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    yes, and i've switched brands because of the switch.

sometimes the switch's little plastic junky ''fingers'' don't seem to grab the high quality plastic stem well..i think my dog could come up with a better design..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• gerry_6
    gerry_6 Member Posts: 33
    yup

its frustrating when its  a pump i sold in'06 ( I like the customer and I take these issues personal)  then low speed quit so i click it to medium speed  so when pump failed in '08 I replaced it with a taco . I seen other grundfos pumps do it too 40-80  down to 15-58 . currently I am using wilo so far OK.

Gerry Alder 
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,883
    Thanks

Yes I am talking about the newer 15-58 ... its a shame bu after getting call backs for the low speed not starting and being told no one else has mentioned it ....... I now use Wilo.

I had  a brand new GB that got a call for not heat and the priority Grundfos was out on speed one.

Scott
This discussion has been closed.