Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cash for caulkers

<a href="http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-obama-caulkers16-2009dec16,0,4079415.story">[url=http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-obama-caulkers16-2009dec16,0,4079415.story]http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-obama-caulkers16-2009dec16,0,4079415.story</a>

i think this sounds like a good idea. perhaps there could also be a stimulus for getting more energy survey experts out in the field.--nbc

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Next there will be Cash for....

Street walkers :-)

Stress relief for the unemployed man ;-)

I am not a big fan of government subsidy in any field. If the technology needs economic help, maybe the actions need to be reviewed and prioritized, and money spent in other areas.

While waiting for the Window Ship to make it into port, I have taken a side job training building analysts for BPI (Building Performance Institute)

There is a significant amount of money flowing into the realms of the local and state governments for proper training of these people, especially returning veterans. What worries me about cash for caulkers, is if too good of a job is done weatherizing a home, the occupants can and will get sick from poor ventilation, possibly causing illnesses varying from environmental allergies to carbon monoxide poisonings.

You must test (blower door) BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER a weatherization program to insure that the home has not been made too tight, and if it is too tight, prescriptive mechanical ventilation measures must be taken.

I'm all for PROPER weatherization programs, but how many jobs will be created, and how long will these jobs last, and do the benefits out weigh the potential pitfalls?

Proceed with caution...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dennis
    Dennis Member Posts: 101
    edited December 2009
    Hold on to your wallet!

I suggest you guys start putting some money into hard assets.

Your hard earned dollar is going to soon be funny money. You see the media and government are fooling you, they state that your grandchildren are going to be saddled with this dept. Sorry, but you and I will be paying this debt back in the form of inflated prices.

Inflated prices are the result of too much money in circulation, like back in the days of the gold strikes. A town would discover gold, every miner had pockets full of gold, so a beer naturally cost $5. When the mine collapsed causing a money shortage a beer cost 10 cents like the rest of the country at the time.

Easy come easy go. Except the gold in this case is your hard earned dollar.

Let me give you some advice, spend your dollars on rental houses, gold, or some other asset that will not be eroded by the coming inflation. And for gosh sakes do not lend money at a fixed interest rate, unless it is mortgage money.

You young guys don't remember double digit inflation, the prices of everything except your paycheck went up. Wages never keep up with inflation, so your savings are quickly eroded, so is the value of your savings.

Here is the million dollar advice about money, whatever the bankers or public financial figures (that the media likes) tell you what to do with your money, do not listen.

Instead look at what they do with their money.

They tell you to buy a long term CD, in effect you are lending them money at a low fixed rate, they lend the money out at 4 or 5 times what they are paying you, and your money is at risk not theirs. They say save, but as we can see by the resent bank failures they did not save, but instead lent your money out with no thought of risk.

in these times you need to sharpen your money skills along with your HVAC skills, because in the end we are doing this work to make a living and ultimately retire on more than welfare from our out of control government.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    You were doing good, until...

Dan has a policy here not to discuss politics or religion. If you want to see your post stay, go back and remove the political statement. I had to modify mine to eliminate any political bent. If you don't, I can pretty much guarantee the whole post will disappear, and THAT would be a shame.

Let's play by Dans rules.

Thanks for understanding that this is not the place to discuss politics or religion.

ME

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    This is not a site for political statements.

Thanks for your understanding, and your cooperation. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,142
    have to agree with ME

I an remember years ago in NY had a big window replacement sub thing going on .I hate to say it but most of all the windows that where replaced where with vinyl type replacement windows and i know for a fact (first Hand )that most all of those replaced where by the hands of the mobsters .There was some real cash flowing then most of which was all going to the mob and associates and little to those who did the work all of which payments where cash .i know i had direct friends involved so i an only image what will happen with this new scenario.just some thoughts peace and good luck clammy Hey PS Dan i figured out how to use the spell check

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• clarification

i certainly was not beating any political gongs here; but i do think that getting people to insulate is a good idea! i also advise people to keep their tires inflated correctly to save fuel, and maintain control on the ice!--nbc
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    I edited Dennis, not you, NBC.

He got political.
    Retired and loving it.
  • thanks

thanks dan!!

is the time of posting here your server time, or our own time? our own time could be confusing because of time zones [from california radiant time to steamhead time]. --nbc
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    OSHA

I can't believe the photo in the cash for caulkers article. Talk about taking advantage of

un-trained labor. The 19 year old is working for the "Los Angeles Community Advocating

Unity SOCIAL JUSTICE and Action organization. No hard hat, no safety glasses, no fall protection, improper use of a ladder and probably no work-mens comp.

• Dennis
    Dennis Member Posts: 101
    edited December 2009
    never mind

This discussion has been closed.