Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Proportional venting for radiators

EricP
EricP Member Posts: 3
If I have this figured out correctly - when using Hoffman 1A vents on every radiator in the building, they should be set according to the SIZE of the radiator and not the locations relative to the boiler? Since a new boiler was installed a few years  back, the 'engineer' had us set these things up according to geography! Most of the radiators are the same size through out the building and are not terribly huge so I'm guessing adjusting them to 3 on the 1A will work, and adjust the few smaller 2 rung radiators even slower. Probably could have saved a lot of money just using the Hoffman 40's on all the same size radiators and just installed the 1A'son the radiators that needed manual adjusting. If anyone has any other ideas, I would love to read, thanks much and great web site! :)

Eric in Portland, OR

Comments

• venting-radiator location or radiator size?

even more important than the radiator vents, are the main vents on the dry returns. those vents should be capacious enough to let  the air out of the boiler steam chest + the main lines themselves as quickly as possible. money spent on "1 extra vent for each main steam line is never wasted" [anon. 1965]

the radiator vents will then be venting the riser+ radiator- a much smaller volume. therefore a third floor radiator could use a bit of extra venting by virtue of the volume of the tall riser.

so the answer to the question posed above is "neither" and "it depends"--nbc
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    venting worksheet

You may want to have a look at the Excel Worksheet I put together for venting recommendations (both for Gorton and Hoffman 1A's) .. http://www.ypgmedia.com/heatinghelp/ .. if you have any questions about the sheet contact me directly (email is in the sheet). It includes accounting for "runout" lengths such as long risers.

jpf
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • EricP
    EricP Member Posts: 3
    Hi jpf, I can't seem to open the xls sheets. But I have Excel.

Hi jpf, I can't seem to open the xls sheets. But I have Excel.
This discussion has been closed.