Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wall hung non condensing boilers

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,142
looking for a replacement for a hydro-therm wall hung with coaxial vent.the problem being that it is a small load of only about 50,000 Btu ,the water quality is very hard so a combo unit is not needed there's a indirect tank in use already and it's working off a zone valve.i know there's baxi luna and embassy but there btu rating are a little high for what i need ,In the mech room where a few have been replaced with embassy and cosmogas but as i sit in the mech i see these units short cycling which i don't want happening to my possible install .The hydro therm which i am looking at replacing also short cycles i believe none of these unit where properly sized according to a heat lose being these where all apartments which where converted to condos .i would like to put a mod con boiler but there are no  floor drains to get rid of the condensate and pumping it outside is out of the question due to side walks and driveways and my fear of either ice forming or a condensate pump failure and or condensate line freezing as it goes outside plus the condo association basially not wanting any thing to be drilled through the outside of the building.There is a waste stack not far away that a condensate pump would have no problem getting to but then a trap primer would have to be installed and that adds to the final cost and then who is responsible for it's possible maintance and or replacement costs when it finally fails  plus the fat that after it is installed other who have there hydrotherm replaced will probably use this trap for there possible mod con install.Any ideas on small load non condensing wall hungs ?thanks for any input peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    clammy

Are there no laundry sink(s) in the basement, or better yet a laundry box? Piping it to someplace that is accepting detergents such as these will help to neutralize the acidity of the condensate.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • P-trap, trap primer

and maybe a vent.  Yes, it's a pain in the butt and more often than not, the trap primer fails.

But installing a proper drain will free up your selection of boilers and you can choose a small mod-con with temperature responsive controls that will lower the customer's fuel bills and keep them cozy comfortable.

And I don't know of a small, wall-hung, non-condensing boiler that's reliable.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,142
    no laundry rooms.

nope no provisions where made for laundry nor floor drains so i guess it will be the smallest baxi luna they make .i had though crown had a modulaing non ndenser but i was mis taken thanks peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Embassy Axia.......20E

allows you to drop the boiler output rating down to 50K btu.and it modultes. It does the heat and DHW is 1 unit and is not condensing... although it is 87% afue. I ahve installed a number of these.. very quiet.
  • dynamic
    dynamic Member Posts: 20
    Baxi

The Baxi Luna is able to be set as low as 35,000 btu's. It modulates as well. And that Axia does the same as KCopp said. I believe there is a difference in the gpm for domestic water.
This discussion has been closed.