Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham: Flame Sensor problem or something else?

SBC
SBC Member Posts: 1
I have a burnham series 2 gas boiler. When heat is called for, the pilot flame kicks on but the main burners will not. The unit clicks for about 30 sec then gives up. Service tech used a file to clean the sensor and it worked fine for several hours then started doing the same thing again. Tech said I needed to order a new pilot ignitor sensor assembly.

I don't think he checked for other possible problems. Is there something else I should check before spending $400 on getting a new assembly put in? Thanks. 

Comments

• martin
    martin Member Posts: 144
    a file on a flame sensor YIKES

He should never have used a file on a flame sensor, steel wool is the weapon of choice. It sounds like you have a spark ignition and the sensor is permanatly mounted in the pilot assembly. Clean it again and the pilot assembly allaround it and see how that works.
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Try

grounding
  • dynamic
    dynamic Member Posts: 20
    Try

You should try to get another tech over and have him check it out. I would not advocate that you try it yourself. Yes, there may be other issues, and a qualified tech should be able to diagnose your issue.
  • It could be a bad

ignition control module (ICM); the pilot will often rectify properly, but one of the relays in the ICM may not close the circuit to power open the burner.  Usually a Honeywell S 8610U 1003 universal replacement; there are also others.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
This discussion has been closed.