Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hot water recirculation systems

george_42
george_42 Member Posts: 123
--I would like some recommendations for home hot water  recirculation systems, george

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    home recirc systems

I have a Grundfos system in my home and like it a lot..........enough said.
  • Chris S
    Chris S Member Posts: 177
    recirc

I have used Laing on several jobs, both at the tank, and under the sink .  No call backs.   I just ordered 2 Wilo to be installed at the tank, with timers.  I am confident they'll be just as good.
  • Kevin Koenig_4
    Kevin Koenig_4 Member Posts: 36
    Domestic Recirc Pumps

B&G has just introduced an atractive line of energy effecient domestic water recirc pumps. Here is a sales brochure. [url=http://www.bellgossett.com/literature/files/7520.pdf]http://www.bellgossett.com/literature/files/7520.pdf
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    edited December 2009
    Most are great

It would mostly depend on what would fit your application.  If you are building new, you might look into a dedicated return system where you install a single hot supply pipe throughout the home and create a loop back to the heat source, placing the circulator at the return to the source.

There are some great retrofit systems available if you are adding to an existing plumbing system.  Under-cabinet systems can be placed in each bathroom or just in the problem spot, requiring minor plumbing connections and a wall outlet.  Most will work off a timer, some operate via an aqua-stat.

I have recently installed the Taco Demand system.  It can operate off a motion sensor placed in the bathroom or a push button switch.  It only operates when needed, seems that is the best way to save energy.  Have had it in my house for about two months, very happy.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,497
    Second the Taco

Hello:  Have a look at www.gothotwater.com   It might fit your need.

Yours,  Larry
  • john58
    john58 Member Posts: 7
    gravity recirculating system

I have installed several gravity recirc systems and they work great. The water heater must be installed lower than the faucets however, as in the basement and the recirc line attaches at the bottom of the water heater. Install a check valve in the recirc line to stop reverse flow.  Hot water feed and recirc lines should be insulated to reduce heat loss due to circulation of hot water. A boiler drain should be installed at the low point of the recirc line to get the circulation started. John G
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    I have a Grundfos

under the kitchen sink. It used to pump the water out of the hot water line and into the cold water line until it sensed hot water. This set up was to save you from having to run a return line, but then we found ourselves waiting for cold water instead of waiting for hot water. I added a 1/2 pex line back to the water heater and hooked the electrical up to a motion detector switch in the kitchen. Now when I come down to let the dogs out in the morning, by the time I get to the sink to wash the coffee pot I got hot water waiting. A little luxery but nice. 
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,883
    I allways thought that was a great idea Wayne

I have to remember that.

I did my third floor bath over and ran a 3/8 soft copper line to the basement and let the gravity take it to the third floor just like the second. Works great.  You don't always need a pump.

Scott
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    Gravity = wasted heat

Gravity systems waste heat 24/7/365.   Eventually that heat will pay for a pump.

• EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    second that

Big fan of the switch and motion sensor.  Why pay for what you can't use?

• george_42
    george_42 Member Posts: 123
    hot-water-recirculation-systems

Thanks for all the input; I purchased a watts recirculation system and installed it in my home last week and it works great . Again , thanks GEORGE
This discussion has been closed.