Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dan, Can you ....

Ross_7
Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
...re- post the rules of working in the trade again? I think that I remember most of them.

Don't work for friends.

Don't work for relatives.

Don't work for the church.

, and I can't remember the rest of them.

I changed out a zone valve head for a "friend" last night, and I got the old " I can't pay you right now, my wife has the checkbook" But yet it was "Okay" for him to bug me on Sunday night about his heating, and it was "Okay" to call me at work yesterday, because of the fact he's too cheap to not call somebody else. You know the type new truck & RV in the yard, but no money to pay me to fix the heat. Hoe do you politely get rid of these guys. I fixed the heat because I know he has small children, and it's not the kids' fault their dad is a bum. Thanks for listening!

Comments

• Peter Means
    Peter Means Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2009
    I Hear Ya

I have not seen Dan's rules. I'm a graphic designer (print, web) and I get lots of, "hey wouldn't you love to help us make our wedding invitation/website/logo..."

I tell 'em right up front, "It might sound strange, but I don't do work for friends and family, because what if you don't like what I do and then we'll have friction in our friendship. I value our relationship, so unfortunately I've learned a long time ago that it's best this way, and I don't do work for any friends or family, and havn't for years. By the way, all of the graphic designers I know also have this same rule. just works best this way. Here are some people you can call"

They get it. I tell 'em with a smile, and I make sure they know this is my rule for all friends and family not just them, and that other designers do the same, based on experience.

Thanks for helping keep those kids warm though. I have 2 little guys myself. Sometimes, as you did, perhaps you have to bend the rules a smidgin.

Oh, and if they keep pushing, I tell 'em, "also, I hate doing wedding invitations and logos (true), and quite frankly I'm not very good at them either (not true), I specialize in blank". That usually does it. LOL
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.