Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Fired Boiler Comparisons

Options
Curios
Curios Member Posts: 1
I need to replace a 40 year old low efficiency gas fired boiler.   Is there any particular model to stay away from or people preferred?

Right now I am looking at

-Prestige from Triangle Tube

-Conservator 90 series from Lenox

-Ultra PHD from Weil-McLain

-Slant fin

Are these all made the same or is there a difference??

Thanks

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Ultra PHD from Weil-McLain

I know nothing about the others, but it is the W-M Ultra-2 that has a PHD controller in it.

I do not believe you can get the Ultra-2 series anymore, because they have been replaced by the Ultra-3 series that has a Ucontrol board instead. It is more flexible than the PHD one (you can have three thermostat connections, each at a different priority, and each can have a different output temperature).

They may also have the Ultra-3-UE series, but I do not know what the difference is.
  • MIke_Jonas
    MIke_Jonas Member Posts: 209
    Options
    No one makes a bad boiler

I do not believe there is a "best" or "worst" boiler.

Choose the installer first. Let them decide what would be best for your particular installation.

The installation is key.

I have two lines that I prefer and always quote. I have factory training  from both, I have parts on hand for both. I have a very good relationship with the local wholesalers of these brands and the local reps.

Make sure they do a heat load calculation.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Now that is

The right answer Mr. Jonas . The second part to that equation is finding that installer with the same frame of mind, and credentials as yourself. In the cconsumers area...Find a Pro Box.

Gordy
This discussion has been closed.