Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton #D vs. Gorton #1 CFM

Options
jpf321
jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
According to Gill's "balancing steam system book" (<a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/146/Balancing-Steam-Systems-Using-a-Vent-Capacity-Chart-by-Gerry-Gill-and-Steve-Pajek">http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/146/Balancing-Steam-Systems-Using-a-Vent-Capacity-Chart-by-Gerry-Gill-and-Steve-Pajek</a>) both the #D and the #1 vent the same CFM...is this correct? Is the only difference between the 2 vents the availability of thread sizes and angle/straight vents? Is the #1 somehow internally different from the #D?

Gorton's website states that a #D = 27 * "ordinary air vents" .. I know that a #2 = 4pcs #1s since it says so on the #2 box.

According to Gill's book, an "ordinary air vent" (#4) = 0.025CFM .. that would mean that 27 of them = 0.67CFM which seems larger than a #1.

Can anyone clairfy the difference between #D and #1 for CFM?

Thanks.
1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics

Comments

• Unknown
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Vents

Personally I 'd go with Gerry's measurements. He provides actual figures. The ones provided by Gorton are just so many times this or that. If the information provided doesn't give exact figures, with all the parameters, I always classify this type of info as "sales promotion". I'm not saying it is false, just that companies tend to give data that puts their product in the optimum light. What I'm saying that it maybe that at say 5 PSI, "A" vents 4 times faster than "B" so while the statement is true it doesn't do you much good if plan to use the vent at 4 to 12 oz of pressure.

Besides it's not all that important, We aren't trying to make the vent fly to the moon, we just basically need to get things in the ball park and so we really only need to know if it is bigger or smaller and by approximately how much. You can calculate all you want but in the end, with these old steams systems, it's "does it work better or not."

Since you're now working on your system, I had another thought that might be of interest to you. I haven't done it myself as yet but one of the next items I'm going to put on my boiler is a Hobbs meter, (engine hour meter)  It can be wired in so you can record how much time the burner is on which you can then compare with the amount of fuel used. I now keep track of how much fuel I use over a certain time period (days) but this would provide a much more accurate figure. 

I've attached a diagram of a Gorton vent.  Gorton is very good to work with so if you have any problems, contact them. Personally I've been very happy with my Gorton vents.

Have a Happy Thanks giving!

- Rod
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    the insides of Gorton vents are

esentially all the same..its a bimetal element..The difference between the d and the 1 is just the body casing determining which use it has..either radiator or main pipe..when i first talked to Gorton years ago they had no idea how many cfm their vents vented at 1 ounce as the only data they had was for 1 pound of pressure..which we thought was useless data since all boilers start at zero pressure..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Answerman
  • jpf321
    Options
    thanks

Thanks for the reply Mr. Gill. I wasn't sure if perhaps there was a typo in your data. 

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Answerman
  • jpf321
    Options
    an hour meter sounds..

like a great idea .. I had planned on putting one on previously .. mainly because I have an in-ground oil tank without a working fuel gauge .. so I wanted to use the hour meter as a rough idea of when I should really go and stick the tank.

i had found one fairly cheap .. http://www.drillspot.com/products/514606/enm_t1120eb_lcd_hour_meter .. I will look up the hobbs.

This discussion has been closed.