Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My first "Ultra" experience,,,,

Options
I`m a faithful TT guy,,, but I was asked to have a look at this Ultra series2(installed by my competition), as no-one could figure-out how to program the MCBA from the defaults.

Aside from the "regular" piping mistakes I see, the wiring was also a mess, and it was clear my competition had no-idea what they were doing.

Anyway,,, I am NOT impressed by the "terminal block" wiring(in this case only accessible by working between the vent & C/A pipes),,,, the MCBA is mounted on it`s back(on top) so if you needed to change the fuses(extras they give you), tearing the head apart is mandatory,, and IF for any reason water should drip on the top shroud covering this(took me an hour with a blow-dryer), expect an error code on the display as it`s not sealed. Even cleaning the condensate-trap below resulted in water everywhere as you must pull-it back through the sheet-metal partition web below. 

I`ve seen many complaining about TTs wiring block(with the key), but until you have to service one of these other "gems" consider-it a God-send!

Their MCBA is mounted vertically, and the condensate-trap is very easily accessed.

Comments

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    I'll agree on the serviceability factor

I'd give it about a 4 on a 1-10 scale.

On another note, I had a bulletin from W-M come across my desk the other day that would seem to indicate there are some issues cropping up with the AL heat exchanger. W-M is now packaging some "magic stuff chemical" with the boiler to add to the water. It stated that use of the additive is mandatory and it must be maintained for the life of the product. HMmmmmm
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Here's the service bulletin

FYI:

I noticed the part about failure to comply may result in accelerated corrosion.. Well what about all the folks who have had one running without the X100 for 2-3 years???
  • Unknown
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Completely agree Steve,,,

However in their defense, it appears in a "round about way" they are aware of a potential lifespan problem and are attempting to do "something" about-it,,,,, even though we have to pay for it,,,,,,,, better than nothing being said I suppose..  ;-)

Thanks for the info.
  • mjcromp
    mjcromp Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Dave

I too like the TT's. From a recent training w/a TT engineer he made mention that they thought that terminal block was the best thing since sliced bread when they came up with that on there. When I told him it was one of the worst things on that unit he said they are working on it and trying to get it resolved.

P.S. The terminal block on the WM is a pain had one a few weeks ago to check out.

MCBA board is a pain to remove as I had to do that as well.

Also have fun if you have to replace a fan on one of them as that is a challenge also.

Did I mention cleaning the HX combustion area??

I'll stick with my TT's!!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ultra wiring

Is definitely no fun- the series 2you have to stand on you head , and hope the venting is not installed.... The TT is better, I spoke to a rep at a show and he said to use the opening to the side of their block so you can swing the door open w/o pulling the connector. I like the Buderus GB142 also(but it's AL also)
  • eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Another lesser known boiler

A boiler I recently learned about that is not mentioned very often is Hamilton Engineering EVO. Other than being a little rough around the edges, performance and ease of install have been impressive so far. Simple control if you have a laptop it gets even easier, they don't stop at 399 and can common vent the flue vent not just the combustion air (if they size the venting), and the heat exchanger is 316L. They even claim to do pool water(not salt based of course). 
This discussion has been closed.