Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crown ODV oil boiler keeps tripping out.

Options
Saggs
Saggs Member Posts: 174
I have a customer w/ a Crown ODV-100 oil fired direct vent boiler that seems to be very finicky regarding air settins and maybe nozzle selection. It ran good for a year or more but was showing signs of sooting around the jacket. We pulled it a part and found that the previuos tech had failed to install the main rope gasket around the outer seal of the door. We installed a new gasket and set the burner up as quoted from the manual. .85-60A nozzle at 150psi (where it was) I used an analyzer to set the air @ 12% co2 w/ 0 smoke and 0ppm CO. It has since tripped out twice and run after resetting. Oil is gravity feed from basement tank, electrodes are set as factory spec's and the ignitor is strong. Any ideas on this one?  Thx

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Tripping Out

aside from the normal safety problems ... How and what type termination was installed. was it a single exhausting and fresh make up air ? Was it terminated outside in a inside corner of the building. where it can catch the wind , and force the exhaust back into the fresh air supply ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Blue Flame

returning exhaust will change the fire to a blue flame which the cad cell will not respond in it's normal ohm parameters.. One of the problems with a bad location in termination ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Saggs
    Saggs Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Cross contamination?

It has a concentric type termination with the exhaust blowing out above the intake, kinda left and right over the intake area. I was wondering if this may be an issue and had considered installing a separate fresh air intake? Is there any way to tell if cross contamination is the problem? Will an analyzer tell or could I just draw air out of the basement and see if it runs steady for awhile and then relocate the fresh air?
This discussion has been closed.