Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

RUNNING OUT OF HOT WATER WHEN SHOWERING

Options
BOPEEP
BOPEEP Member Posts: 2
I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD, PEERLESS, 3 SECTION, CAST IRON, OIL FIRED BOILER WITH A DOMESTIC HOT WATER COIL. I RUN OUT OF HOT WATER WHEN SHOWERING. I'M ON MUNICIPAL WATER. THE SUPPLY PRESSURE TO THE COIL IS 55 PSI. THE HEATING CONTRACTOR IS FIRING A .85 GPH NOZZLE. THE BOILER CONTROL IS SET AT 160 LOW - 180 HIGH. THE COIL HAS A BUILT IN FLOW CONTROL. WILL INSTALLING A TEMPERING VALVE AT THE COIL INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF HOT WATER AVAILABLE? OR ARE THERE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Comments

• Unknown
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Hot Water

Are you saying it has no tempering-valve now?? There should ALWAYS be one.

Also, I always use the adjustable flow-controls on the coil inlet so the customer can adjust the flow as at certain times of year the cold water temp can change.

Watts has them,,  [url=http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull.asp?pid=3425&ref=1]http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull.asp?pid=3425&ref=1   they are inexpensive, and better (IMO) than one "fixed" size.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Options

Turn your flow control down.  Run the shower water slower (less volume) and not as hot.  Take a quicker shower.  :-)

Do you have the correct aquastat (and settings) for having a domestic coil?
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Whats in your shower ?

Do you have multiple shower heads ?

Is the shower head 2.5 gpm ?

Honestly, tankless coils are not effecient and prone to early failure.

Scott
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Has it always been like this

since it was installed? Like Dave said, you need a tempering valve. Even if you think your clever enough to mix the water temps at the faucet, you are still supplying 180 degree water to the hot water side. This usually makes quick work of destroying the cartridge or washer in the faucet and insures that the lubricant will be gone in short order. Municipal water varies from municipal to municipal. If the water is hard you will need to have your coil cleaned regular or install a water softner. If you want to buy something nice before your dollars lose half their value go buy an indirect water heater and have it professionally installed. Taking a nice hot shower for as long as you like is one of the only places of solitude left in this world.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited November 2009
    Options
    The math says....

you should be able to maintain a 100 degree rise (are you part lobster?) at 2 GPM flow rate.

If your flow rate is higher, your rise will be less than 100 degrees.

If the coil is scaled (probable) you WILL run out of caliente agua...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.