Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

simple control?

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
I have a mil BTU steamer that was always supposed to maintain steam pressure and let the TRVs do their jobs, but with all traps bad the TRVs did not last long. Now, the main dnst hall gets to 95* in the middle and some apartments are easily that hot, almost too hot to sustain life. The owner asked how hot it would eventually get and I said it is trying to make the building 212*!

Anyway, I figured a t-stat is the fastest way to get them some relief but this boiler was never made to have a t-stat. Smith, new. I tried just placing a rated t-stat in series with the 24V loop but it looses power when the pressuretrol is satisfied.(hywell rounds are all solid state now) Is there a rated t-stat for this or do I need a relay to make this fly? This is a temp fix while they consider my bid for traps & TRVs.  Thanks!

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Tim,,,,

Just throw-on an old line voltage stat,,, don`t you have one laying around?
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    steamer control

With a system that large, after doing trap repairs and maintenance, you should consider a cycle timer for that boiler. Works like a reset control by limiting the run time of the boiler depending on outdoor temperature. Combined with an indoor sensor, you could save lots of $$$....enough to pay for an ongoing maintenance trap program. Both TEKMAR and Heattimer make great controls...check them out.
  • Timco
    Options
    Tekmar 279

I have quoted a price for the 279 twice now, and they say they will get back to me. I am thinking for this t-stat issue of just using a small 24V relay or a heating relay similar to the RA832A1066,  which has a set of low voltage contacts.

Tim
  • "they say they will get back to me"

Do a temporary fix,  then it`ll likely become a permanent repair with you being the "stinker" for having done-it ,,,, sounds like they have no-intention(or money) to set things right.

I say,,, let them "sweat" it out!  :-)  
  • Timco
    Options
    heat

It is tempting to take that attitude, but ultimately it would be the tenants that would suffer, and it is not their fault that the investors had to pay me to re-pipe the boiler on top of the original replacement. I know the t-stat is not the best solution, but the system holds pressure and this will bring immediate relief. It was soo hot in the main hall it makes you turn your face, and anything will be better than that. I feel a responsibility to do my best to work within the customer's budget except when it is a hazard in some way.....and the t-stat will do this for now, or forever if they leave it. At least this way the investors pay via a higher gas bill, not the tenants via uncomfortable living conditions.....

Tim 
This discussion has been closed.