Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Home owner's mentalities and the big box stores that sell to them

Options
 This is(was until the building officials were notified) of an installation in the next town over from me.Just thought I would pass this picture on to you and explain the reasoning behind it since I just got the info today on it. This was a home owner, no permit pulled, pellet stove installation and the pellet stove was purchased from your in famous DYI big box stores. The owner installed it like you saw it and has been using it. The exhaust flue piping was piped by the home owner and his explanation was " I asked the big box store employee what do I need for exhaust piping and he said you would use what was displayed on the display rack." So then the home owner states"I set it up just like the display rack showed" which when you walked into this big box store, sure enough the display for the various pieces of pipe and fittings you would use was set up exactly like that.Lack of common sense from the home owner plus lack of communication skills and knowledge to thoroughly further question and ask details of the home owner on what his exhaust venting situation was could have lead to a tradgedy, if some one did not inform the proper people that they saw this illegal installation.

Comments

• Al Roethlisberger
    Al Roethlisberger Member Posts: 194
    Options
    I suspect every trade professional has similar stories *laugh*

As a homeowner that both by necessity and due to my own personal interest often ends up doing a variety of work on my own, I can sympathize for both the DIY'er and the professional.

Sometimes folks are lazy, mislead, or just not very "handy"  *laugh*

But then again, folks like myself are probably the opposite and tend to over analyze and over build the project at hand for fear of not doing it right!

But it is true that the "generalists" (and I'm being kind) at the big box stores often do unintentionally mislead people from sheer ignorance.  Unfortunately in cases like the one you've illustrated, it could be a deadly mistake.

Al

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• MarkPFalade
    MarkPFalade Member Posts: 68
    Options
    H used B vent,,,

so what's the problem? ;-)
  • Is there a problem with this?

Hey,, that`s just like mine!

If the stove makes the room too hot, I can always just flip-on the A/C. LOL! :-O
This discussion has been closed.