Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CI baseboard or CI rads

Options
JIMBO_2
JIMBO_2 Member Posts: 127
I am getting ready to add heat to a small pantry (7x6 ft) that has never been heated before.  The house uses primarily CI rads (9 of them) and 30 years ago someone added CI baseboard in the kitchen (kitchen alteration eliminated space for a rad) and the same for the bathroom.  After reading several posts, I cannot help but wonder which would work better.  I have both available to me, so I would not be buying either.  Just trying to get the most from the system and keep the family as comfy as possible.73G

Comments

• kevin_58
    kevin_58 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    rads

What type of heat steam or hot water.
  • JIMBO_2
    Options
    hot water

Hot water heat
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Size the emitter to the load...

They are both cast iron, so it doesn't really matter much what you put in, although the larger radiator will generate more heat and comfort for a longer period of time.

The above assume you have a pump on your system and it is not a converted gravity system. If it IS a gravity converted system, go with the radiators. Less pressure drop.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JIMBO_2
    Options
    Thank you, Mark, but

I do believe this system IS a converted gravity system.  But I am not certain.  The last boiler was installed in 1956, a Weil Mclain  oil-fired unit with an internal coil for domestic hot water.  Prior to that, all I can remember is that we had a coal bin in the basement (every now and again we stumble upon a chunk of shiny black coal).  The boiler has supply and return 2 inch "headers" running from the boiler to 1 inch tees feeding the rads on the 1st floor, then downsizing as the header in the basement continues to tee off for the remaining rads, feeding the 2nd floor rads with 3/4-inch tees.  I cannot say for certain if it was a gravity system at one time.  Any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.