Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hand Pump for Chemicals?

Options
SpeyFitter
SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
Call me oldfashioned, but I don't get excited about having to set up a flush cart or another electrical pump just to pump a small amount of chemicals into a system. I'm curious what you guys use in the way of Hand Pumps that are reasonably effective and reliable - Mark you mentioned a Silver King Pump earlier. How does that work for you (I found their website).

Thanks,

Scott

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Fantastic....

I modified mine quite a bit. I have a drain cock on the top so I can set it in the bucket, with a short piece of hose on it, release fluid into the bucket through the DC, close the DC and pump the fluid back into the system.

The only caution I would give is to make darned sure the body of the pump is completely drained before storing in vehicle during cold weather, or you will be buying another one... Don't ask me how I know that :-)

I used mine once to generate hundreds of PSI in an effort to dislodge "something" in a heating system. I am sure when I hit the handle with a hammer is was generating over 1,000 PSI if only for an instant. The "something" ended up being a red mechanics rag. Had to cut into a wall to get it out...

HTH

ME

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    us

We always used these. They were cheap and lasted for a few acid washes if we flushed them out.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|296536|314179&id=724708
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Likewise

I agree with the previous posts. Keep it clean and don't abuse it. They pump on both the push and pull strokes. I had a system that was plugged with iron oxide, an 11/2" copper line in concrete. I hooked up the trusty Silver King and a 500 lb. gage and told my boss, you watch the gage while I give it what for. Well it happened to be on the pull stroke. I pulled with all my might and , the wind blew the **** flew and you couldn't see for a minute or two. The boss said that just before I ripped the guts out of the pump the 500 lb. gage was pegged. It did dislodge the plug and we were able to flush it out. bob

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Likewise

I agree with the previous posts. Keep it clean and don't abuse it. They pump on both the push and pull strokes. I had a system that was plugged with iron oxide, an 11/2" copper line in concrete. I hooked up the trusty Silver King and a 500 lb. gage and told my boss, you watch the gage while I give it what for. Well it happened to be on the pull stroke. I pulled with all my might and , the wind blew the **** flew and you couldn't see for a minute or two. The boss said that just before I ripped the guts out of the pump the 500 lb. gage was pegged. It did dislodge the plug and we were able to flush it out. bob

• Remember the old

fluid hand pumps(maybe what bob means),,, looked-like a tire-pump on steroids,,, push-pull delivery ,but ours had no gauge,, wooden handle and a stirrup to put your foot-in,,,, I think it was red in color LOL .
This discussion has been closed.