Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Tubing Repair

Options
<span style="font-size:12pt">I have a customer who asked me a question that I don’t have the answer to but I knew this would be a place I could probably get an answer.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">We believe we have identified that a loop of his radiant has a small hole in it. If we’re able to locate were this leak is. Short of digging it up I’m not aware of any other way to repair the tubing.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">The customer has asked me if there is any type of a leak sealant that could be sent through the loop to seal this leak. I not aware of any such product but thought possibly some one here may be.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Any information would be appreciated. Thanks </span>

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Options
    don't know, don't care.

I am not aware of such a product BUT even if I knew of one,  you wouldn't catch me using it, period.  Perhaps call this attitude insensitive of a customers wants (wants to save money) but I couldn't attach my name personally, to such a hoky repair, if this type of thing were available.

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options
    Re: Radiant Tubing Repair

I agree Scott but I didn’t want to just blow of his question without having first hand knowledge if there was or was not such a product available.

• Dave_H
    Dave_H Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Pex repair

Alan,

There is no such animal to repair pex from the inside with a chemical. Dueto the cross-linking of the pipe, fusing or using a leak repair solvent does not work.

The only way to repair a hole is to put in a coupling.

Finding a leak is the tricky part; some ways to consider is;

(1) the mop method. turn the system off and let the floors cool down, mop the floor, then turn the system on and elevate the water temp. The water on the floor should dry in lines relative to the tubing placement, where there is a leak it should dry in a circle and where they intersect should be close to the leak. However, please note I used the word "should" alot. This is not always accurate based upon the size of the hole and the cure of the concrete which could shrink away from the pex and the water can travel a little.

2. More hi-tech is to use an infrared digital camera, again turn the system off, let it cool down, turn on and elevate the water temp and look for the red lines and the red circle for the intersection point.

Hope this helps.

Dave H.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Hey Alan

Here's that chance to justify an infrared camera!!! More Toys! Good luck!
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Re: Radiant Tubing Repair

Thanks, Dave. I remember the mop method from Dan’s book (Thank you Dan) you did forget to mention the cat ;-) we are currently looking into the infrared camera idea also.

I’m going back out to the job site in the near future to evaluate the possibility of isolating and abandoning that loop(if need be)and adding base board the room we believe if effected.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yea Buddy!

I can see it now, don't worry boss just sign the PO I promise it's a worthy investment :)

• MarkPFalade
    MarkPFalade Member Posts: 68
    Options
    What?

No oatmeal, pepper or eggs? ;-)
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Re: Radiant Tube Repair

Gosh I can't believe I didn't think of that! ya see I knew this was the place for all the answeres :)

• MarkPFalade
    Options
    Always happy to lend a hand...

;-)
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    You could, but....

THere is Base Hit by Hercules and numerous other products (Boiler Solder comes to mind) HOWEVER, they have a tendency to settle out in places where you wouldn't expect or want them to, and CAN create more problems than they fix.

Nothing beats good ol' jack hammer surgery and repair couplings.

Put your finest rookie on it.

ME

• MarkPFalade
    Options
    Somewhat related...

was the time my former brother in law, after I told him not to, put a whole jar of Barr's Leaks in the perfectly good otherwise 1970 Nova that had a leaky freeze plug and trashed the car in about 5 minutes. I think I still hate him for that one.
This discussion has been closed.