Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How thin is thin

Options
I have a job the contractor wants a 1-3/4 max finish slab over a existing slab. the new slab will have radiant heat in it. Wow 1-3/4 is thin, has anyone had any luck with this not cracking up?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I'm thinking 2" is the minimum recommended,,,

I think I'd check with the American COncrete Institute at www.concrete.org

If their recommendation is minimum 2".\, then I'd have the GC sign off and waive you of any responsibility for cracking, checking, hazing etc...

There are only three things concrete is guaranteed to do. One is turn grey, the other is lay there, and the last is crack...

The second one has been called in to question recently due to some F5 tornadoes in Texas that literally ripped up concrete slab and tossed them around like graham crackers, but the other two are still solidly intact.

Proceed with caution...

What will the final use be? Residential, commercial, industrial? What kind of traffic will it see?

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Sol Hydronics
    Sol Hydronics Member Posts: 41
    Options
    thin slab

The thin slab is in the kitchen, living, and bath. This is just a regular house. I was going to use eather 3/8" pex or I am leaning to 1/2" pex al pex [ less expantion] and the guy doing the pour is going to place like chicken wire over the pipe. I will be running real low water temp. This is california. Thanks for your post to me. Mike
This discussion has been closed.