Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating controls

Options
plumbuk
plumbuk Member Posts: 4
I'm visiting an elderly friend in Canada who is having a new heating system installed, They are keeping the old radiators (4, its a small flat) . The plumber has fixed the pipework to the radiators, (1 trv to each rad) and directed the flow and return back towards the new electric boiler location. I'm intrigued to know how the system will be balanced as here in England we would have an addittional lockshield (regulating valve) on each radiator to help balance the system effeciently. 

I would appreciate any advice.

many thanks.  

Comments

• heating controls

In NA we are very demanding.

Typically with TRV`s  a "lock-shield" is used, but as you know everyone is different, a LUXURY tenants here have (to be within the law.)

PS- Would A regulating-valve not be the same as a TRV?

I`m very sure ME will chime-in here!

• Devan
    Devan Member Posts: 138
    Options

perhaps he re-piped for reverse return to the rads.
  • plumbuk
    Options
    heating controls cont...

Thanks for the response,

Just to clarify, I understand the trv just to be a temp control, for instance if the first radiator (closest to boiler) on a system had a trv and there was no method of balancing the return the flow would surely wizz straight through a fully open trv and take the shortest route through the return and then back to the boiler and the other radiators would have a chance of heating up untill the first radiator had reached temp and the trv shut off.

Still confused!
  • plumbuk
    Options
    cont

Well it doesn't seem to be in a reverse return configuration although that would make sense, wouldn't that be a little excessive for only four radiators?? Thanks once again. 
  • Still confused

When the trv(closest to the boiler) begins to "throttle-down" would that not create the same flow on the next,, then the next, again creating an equilibrium between all 4?

Dialing-in each room temp can only result in comfort, provided an ECM circ or PD valve is used. 
  • plumbuk
    Options
    cont

It would just seem odd to have to wait for the radiators to heat up in sequence and as it is currently configured my freind would have to wait for the non living area radiators to heat up first i,e the bedroom and kitchen. with only four radiators I know it wouldn't take long but in a very cold house this could take some time. Obviously once up to temp it wouldn't be so much of a problem but this just seems a rather ineffecient way of heating four radiators. And typically the boiler manual only shows the configuration of its controls.

Just a curious mind. 

thanks for all replys, it's very kind.
  • rather ineffecient way of heating four radiators

Other than using 4 zone-valves, to control a "cold-start boiler",, i`m not clear on how you would do-it.
This discussion has been closed.