Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

zome vs Grunfos Alpha

Options
mcycle
mcycle Member Posts: 7
<span style="font-size:12pt">I'm about to install a 95% condensing boiler to an existing baseboard system; 3 zones 2000 sq ft home,  135 ft of baseboard element.  One of the zones is an “old school” 1” venture loop. Boiler is a Triangle Prestige.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">My original plan was to use the Grundos Alpha circ and pipe using zone valves.  I’ve been getting poor feedback regarding the Alpha, so I’m re considering either a single speed Taco "00" series or possibly 3 circs “one per zone”.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">What would be the best option for this type of system?</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">thanks,</span>

Comments

• adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    Options
    ?

What poor feedback are you getting re the Grundfos Alpha? I'm asking as I'm about to replace my old beast with a Prestige and zone valves and was planning on using the Alpha!?

Thanks, Adam
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Grundfos Alpha

I just installed a Triangle Tube Prestige Excellence in my house with 2" black mains and large radiators.

I installed a Grundfos Alpha pump and it works fine.

What kind of problems have you heard on the Alpha pump?

Good heating with the Triangle Tube boiler.
  • mcycle
    mcycle Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Zone vs Grundfos Alpha

I had three plumbers say to avoid the Alpha. When asked they did not explain why.

I was hoping to get an answer from this site.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Alpha advice

If the plumber's haven't used them, how could they comment? I'll bet the comment was "it costs more"....

I have used the pumps and they work great!!  Highly recommended when using zone valves.  The Alpha is a very important milestone in pump design.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,218
    Options
    care to name those 3

plumbers? Or have them stop buy to explain their advise. I have 3 of the first Alpha version and 3 of the newest version they all work great, better than expected.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JFear
    JFear Member Posts: 3
    Options
    No problems here...

I also haven't run into any problems with the Alpha. We have had a number of contractors install them in various applications with no issues...
This discussion has been closed.