Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Intermitant fireing

Options
JM_2
JM_2 Member Posts: 108
I am having an intermittent firing issue with my Power pile Nat gas steam boiler. It has run fine since i bought the house 5 Yrs ago.

When i first got it, I had to replace a leaky pressure relief valve and lower the mechanical pressure troll to a differential of 1 with cut in at .5

It had been set higher.

All of a sudden the unit is occasionally not firing .

First I thought the pigtail may be clogged but its easy to blow though.

I notice however that if I actuate the pressure troll switch a few times it seems to fire. If I test the low water cut out the unit shuts down, but wont restart unless i activate the pressure troll switch a few times. I know the low water float is OK because I can hear it.

I replaced the pressure troll and everything was fine for about a week to ten days, then it got funky again. This time I called in the gas CO since I have a service plan, The tech poked around and noticed that when you activate the pressure troll switch a few time it would fire so he replaced the pressure troll again. So far so good, but I assume I will have the problem again soon. What are the odds that the new pressuretreioll that i installed was defective. I am guessing the the problem lies elswhere. Any ideas?

Comments

• Unknown
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I had the same issue,,

a few years back. On mine it was the pilot generator,,, any screwed terminal connections must be clean & tight also any splices in the wiring should be soldered(as opposed to just twisted).

Had no-problems since. :-)
  • The technician should check the generator...

for proper output both under load and without load.  Powerpile generators last a long long time but do eventually fail. Also the gas valve may need to be checked too.

Boilerpro

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.