Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam radiator repair Chicago

Options
I have a steam radiator in my condo which is leaking.  I am looking to replace it, however, was also wondering if anyone knows of a company in Chicago which repairs them?

I went to the plumbing company at 5617 W. Grand over the weekend and saw many used radiators, but how can I be sure they work correctly (i.e. no leaks).  Anyone have experience with them?

I found a thread on here which listed some places to look for new radiators, as well as used.  One thread mentioned something about having the pressure checked.  when buying a radiator from a salvage yard. Where would one have that done?

Thanks

Jon

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    leaking radiator problem

before replacing your radiator, i would advise you to  find out why your present radiator is leaking. i suspect your steam pressure to be higher than it should be. if that is the case, then quite likely, the replacement radiator will leak as well. if you have access to the boiler room, then i would suggest mounting a good low pressure gauge [gaugestore.com 0-3 PSI] on the boiler. this will show what is going on downstairs.

are these leaks from the radiator, or the valve? is your system 1-pipe or 2-pipe?

pictures of the radiator and the boiler would enable us to advise you more.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.