Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator Valve and heat issue

Options
GTC
GTC Member Posts: 2
Steam radiator is not giving off heat. I changed the air vent. Made sure the valve is open, but it appears that when I turn the nozzle on the the valve it keeps turning as if it is stripped. So maybe it not even open. Can someone provide instructions on how to replace the valve. I also am going to replace the main vent, I take it that this is fairly simple with just unscrewing the vent. I am going to bring the main vent to the plumbing supply house to buy the correct one, so while the system is turned off is it necessary to cover the main vent hole. Thanks!

Comments

• Unknown
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Radiator Valve

You should probably get a pro to replace the valve for you if you don't have experience (or tools) working with big pipe.  As for changing the main vent  you can leave the vent hole open (unless you have a lot of small mice in your house :)  Just be sure to turn off the boiler so someone doesn't turn it on with the thermostat.

You might also want to get a copy of a book called "We Got Steam Heat". It's available in the "Shop" at the top of this page. Here's a direct link:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/61/We-Got-Steam-Heat-A-Homeowners-Guide-to-Peaceful-Coexistence

It'a written for the homeowner with a steam system. It's easy reading ,humorous and crammed full of facts and diagrams on steam systems.  In an evening or two of reading you know a lot more about your steam system and how it works.

Once you learn a bit about steam there is a lot of items on your system that you can attend to yourself and others you should leave to a pro. If you are still considering replacing your valve on your own, post a picture of it and we might be able to give you some ideas. .

- Rod
  • GTC
    GTC Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks!

Thanks, Rod. I ordered Dan's book We Got Steam. It was excellent. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about steam heating systems.
This discussion has been closed.