Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OT: plmbng: blue stains on copper water pipes

Options
D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
Last few weeks noticed salt-like powder on kitchen faucet; then saw blu-ish stains on copper lines --and some corrosion on the escutcheons--below the shutoff valves. haven't found any water anywhere yet. perhaps these leaks(?) occurred awhile ago. Kitchen piping is only year and half old. Then in basement saw more of it.

I'm used to seeing this at old elbows for both domestic and heating pipes, but most of this is on new pipe. i know our water has alot of chloride in it. Also the town has been flushing the water mains (october and spring) to get ride of brown water. perhaps they're using an abrasive chemical?

(Note the blue in kit cab is not as visible on the photo as in real life.)

What might be the cause, and should i clean pipes off with dry scrubber?

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    What the flux???

Flux, if not completely wiped off the exterior of the pipe will cause a bluish green stain.

Also, your cold water pipes will "sweat" and in turn cause a bluish green oxidation.

Lastly, I do see what appears to have been a small leak in one of your soldered joints. That too will deposit some corrosion, and the colorization is dependent upon the chemical make up of your H2O. None of them other than the possible leak that sealed itself, are of concern.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    Options
    Leak in photo 1 (on left) just under ball valve connection?

Thanks Mark, good eye. just verify that if you can.

David
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Yup....

That would be it. Personally, unless it is wet, I wouldn't worry about it. It has probably already limed itself shut.

Leaks like that can't be "doctored" by adding solder to it. It must be taken apart, and started from scratch.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.