Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pellet stove for garage workshop?

Options
Jason_44
Jason_44 Member Posts: 60
I want to heat my attached 1-car garage (near Boston) with a pellet stove. I do quite a bit of woodworking in there in the winter.

Are there any code restrictions on having one in a garage? Any Boston-area installers you can recommend?

Jason

Comments

• Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3
    Options
    Not allowed in a garage

Not an approved installation.

NFPA 211, (National Fire Protection Association) Standards for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances states: 

"Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage"

Ed Carey
  • Jason_44
    Jason_44 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Are there any exceptions?

Are there any exceptions in the code? I never park cars in there. I use it as a small woodworking shop and do some home fix-up projects in there.

Jason
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3
    Options
    None that I am aware of

Jason,

The information in quotation was verbatim from the NFPA 211.

NFPA 211 is a Standard, not a Code. However it is unquestionably accepted as a "Standard of Care" in the industry, and it may be codified in many areas.

The only way you could obtain a variance from any NFPA publication would be to get it directly from NFPA, IN WRITING.

If you find a stove that, (in writing)  is "Listed and approved for installations in garages" you may be able to present that information to NFPA, and they could potentially recognize that specific equipment manufacturer's "listing" as an exception. However, that would be up to NFPA alone to make such a decision. 

A caution, information from an installer such as: "I've been doing this for a gazillion years and have installed many in garages with no problems" is NOT an acceptable exception to the NFPA 211 Standard.  

Ed Carey

This discussion has been closed.