Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO

Options
Irv
Irv Member Posts: 95
Guys,

I have always flushed the LWCO on my steam boiler often.

Now at the start of this season, it is sticking and I have to tap the sides of it to get it to work.

What could be causing this problem and how should I fix it ?

Thanks ,

Irv

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    LWCO sticking

if you can access the mcdonell-miller website, you can find the exploded drawings for your LWCO. this will enable you to disassemble the unit, and find the problem. thank god you tested it, and discovered this problem so early in the season!! probably the float is hung up on some detritus which was not able to be flushed out. the mechanism is pretty simple and robust, but of course can be effectected by rusty grunge. of course the boiler will be out of service during the repair.--nbc
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    lwco maintenance

Certainly the unit needs to be disassembled and cleaned, but how are you flushing it is the key to keeping it operational. It should be flushed while the boiler is operating and making steam. Make sure you have a safe way to blow it down, with a long nipple out of the valve and to a drain or bucket and be careful. Steam burns quickly. This method will allow steam into the chamber to help flush out debris.

And most manufacturers recommend complete disassembly every year. It only take a few minutes and a few bucks for the gasket...use NeverSeize and reuse the gasket over and over......and is well worth the effort.

I see a lot of failed steam boilers in my insurance investigation work, and a lot of techs out there aren't doing it right, so congrats on being on top to the situation. If you are unsure of, or don' t know how to, find a good steam guy to show you how.
  • Irv
    Irv Member Posts: 95
    Options
    LWCO ?

The unit is a McDonell #67.

How difficult would this unit be to clean?

Thanks,

Irv
This discussion has been closed.