Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combustible Clearnces - Help

Options
Roy Starrin
Roy Starrin Member Posts: 3
Am considering installing Columbia EMG 31 gas fired boiler as replacement for 50 year old old fired boiler currently installed in basement, and providing hydronic heat to my house. Site is 6" concrete pedestal, above concrete floor, in a corner sided by concrete block walls. Problem is the top clearance. Combustibles above are the joists and wood subfloor for the first floor.

Boiler Manual specifies 38" minimum above and an 18" inch minimum above the Chimney connector. Seems excessive.

Current installation doesn't meet that.

Boiler Manual refers problems to NFPA-54 National Fuel Gas Code Table 6.2.3(B) which I was able to to bring up once. My eyes began to cross when attempting to interpret it, and I subsequently lost it and the search which found it.

To me, it seems like I'm missing something. The contractor's installers are coming out to look Tuesday, since I have already told him final payment would be contingent on system being up and running IAW with specs and passing all city inspections.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    gas vent connector clearances

The clearance off the appliance cabinet is per the appliance listing. Clearances off the venting for CAT I gas is 6" for single walled vent connector or 1" off B-vent. You can talk to your Authority Having Jurisdiction to see if he will accept a ventilated heat shield as per NFPA 211, which would reduce an overhead clearance by a max. of 50%.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.