Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mineralwool versus Fiberglass Pipe Insulation - any preference?

Options
Like many scenarios related here in past stories, I have a basement where a previous owner removed all the original asbestos pipe insulation.  A little good, a little bad.... the latter being that they didn't replace any of it with another type of insulation.

So replacing that insulation has been on my "list" for a while.

Unfortunately I have some rather large pipe sizes so the insulation isn't very cheap, and I just ran across a "close out" on "Fibrex Mineral Wool Pipe Insulation" that might prove to be a good deal. 

So I was wondering if there are any drawbacks to the mineral wool based insulation versus the fiberglass pipe insulation?  

One difference I note right away is that the fiberglass has a vinyl shell, and the mineral wool is bare.  I'm not sure if that is a benefit either way?

Thoughts?

Al

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Options
    Insulation

It doesn't matter whether you use fiber glass or mineral wood.  It's a matter of looks and containing the fibers.  The insulation is less expensive than preformed fiberglass, but it's ugly as can be.  Over the course of many years, will you wish you sprung for the preformed?  Shop around, I''ve seen pipe insulation prices vary by 50% from one place to another.  Buy from a company that specializes in pipe and duct insulation.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Al Roethlisberger
    Al Roethlisberger Member Posts: 194
    Options
    Fiberglass also has the reflective thermal coating

Thanks,

I also noticed that the back of the fiberglass insulation has a reflective thermal coating, which I assume helps.  I don't know if that makes it any better than the mineral wool, but just an observation.

Al

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.